Gore on Tuesday & Wednesday May 20/21 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2008   #1

Gore on Tuesday & Wednesday May 20/21

Hi Everyone,

Ben Stookesberry and I did Gore Canyon Tuesday just before dark and Wednesday afternoon May 20/21. Wednesday was MUCH bigger than Tuesday, and both days were big water. Does anyone know what the flows were those days? I forgot to look the next day, and I am not sure what the best place is to look for flows. We took some sweet photos and video and can't wait to share it with everyone. We portaged Tunnel Tuesday because the rock on the left looked undercut and crappy and it was late in the day. On Wednesday we ran everything. It was CRAZY in there, and more fun than I have had in a year!

Thanks!

Jesse Coombs
541-231-7012

SafeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2008   #2

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeT View Post
Hi Everyone,
Ben Stookesberry and I did Gore Canyon Tuesday just before dark and Wednesday afternoon May 20/21. W
ednesday was MUCH bigger than Tuesday, and both days were big water. Does anyone know what the flows were those days? I forgot to look the next day, and I am not sure what the best place is to look for flows. We took some sweet photos and video and can't wait to share it with everyone. We portaged Tunnel Tuesday because the rock on the left looked undercut and crappy and it was late in the day. On Wednesday we ran everything. It was CRAZY in there, and more fun than I have had in a year!
Thanks!
Jesse Coombs
541-231-7012
http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?09058000

Was the water clarity chocolate or off color? I'm betting Nestle's.

Hope you post those pics/videos soon!

There's been only 7 times since 1961 that the flow has been at or above 6K at this gauge and 4 of those flows were right at 6k (3 at around 8-9k), so you can tell your grandchildren about this ride!
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #3

Not sure yet of flow on 5/21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Rivers View Post
USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 09058000 COLORADO RIVER NEAR KREMMLING, CO.

There's been only 7 times since 1961 that the flow has been at or above 6K at this gauge and 4 of those flows were right at 6k (3 at around 8-9k), so you can tell your grandchildren about this ride!

Thanks Ole Rivers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2008   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Rivers View Post

Hey Ole Rivers,

Nestle's for sure. Just needed cookies to go with it

Thanks for the link! Looks like we caught it at about 4k on Tuesday, and 5k on Wednesday

I'll hit up a post on the Buzz as soon as I write it up and get the photos. The video may take longer.

Yeah, I'll tell my grandchildren Heck I've been telling everyone locally I can as I am super fired up about being in there. It was hard to describe. We have some sick footage for sure. Things look big, and when the boater gets in the frame they look insane. Do you know the highest it has been run? In some ways Pirite (sp?) was the most consequential rapid. But Gore, Scissors... was still the hardest part from a technical standpoint. I was dodging some crazy big holes and getting tossed around by the waves. TOO FUN!!!!!!

The Super Hero really cleaned up in there! What a great boat!

Thanks a ton for your help!

Jesse
Old 05-24-2008   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I heard Dan Gavere, Jamie Simon and others ran it up around 10K in '95. If I'm not mistaken, they walked most if not all the named rapids.

Looks like it was 4500 on the 21st and on the 3500 on the 20th. Pretty dam big; nice work guys.

Hopefully this shows as a link to a graph when I copy it:

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #6

It did get run by a Wavesport crew in '95 at 9 - 10k. Footage of the run does exist. There use to be a copy at Backdoor sports in Steamboat, not sure if they still have it however. Jamie Simon took a massive beatdown in one of the holes in Gore rapid. When she rolled up it had ripped the helmet clean off of her head...
Sage Loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #7

Rotorua, NZ
Yo Jesse-

What line did you guys run in tunnel on Wednesday? When we were there on Tuesday it looked like the hole would slam you into the undercut and rip your head off. Did the flow boost enough on Weds. to cover it? Looked like the only line might have been the tuck and plug. Give me a shout when you guys come around central co again.

Paul
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008   #8

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeT View Post
Hey Ole Rivers,

Nestle's for sure. Just needed cookies to go with it

Thanks for the link! Looks like we caught it at about 4k on Tuesday, and 5k on Wednesday

I'll hit up a post on the Buzz as soon as I write it up and get the photos. The video may take longer.

Yeah, I'll tell my grandchildren Heck I've been telling everyone locally I can as I am super fired up about being in there. It was hard to describe. We have some sick footage for sure. Things look big, and when the boater gets in the frame they look insane. Do you know the highest it has been run? In some ways Pirite (sp?) was the most consequential rapid. But Gore, Scissors... was still the hardest part from a technical standpoint. I was dodging some crazy big holes and getting tossed around by the waves. TOO FUN!!!!!!

The Super Hero really cleaned up in there! What a great boat!

Thanks a ton for your help!

Jesse

Hey Jesse

Wow you guys are really pushing it! Hats off to ya. I found this old guide book at a garage sale years ago called Rivers of the Southwest written by Fletcher Anderson and Ann Hopkinson. According to this guide book Lloyd Yandle, Fletcher Anderson and Ann Hopkinson dropped in at 10,000 in 1973. Ann had to bail early in the run due to a horrendous swim but Anderson and Yandle proceeded and only opted for two short portages. I think this book was written in the early 80's. The very last paragraph of the write up goes as follows "Gore Canyon has never again been attempted at high water, but a new generation will surely someday expand their own limits of boating to still meet greater challenges." I think this is a real prophetic statement and represents the stoke that paddlers feel for the future possibilities.
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008   #9

Hey Everyone,

Thanks a ton for the response and history! Too cool.

One thing I forgot to mention regarding the water color was that it was sprinkled with large logs and even whole logs. Melissa took some great photos including of the logs coming down the river. I'll have those photos in a few days hopefully.

Hey Paul, Great seeing you! Tuesday Tunnel did look pretty nasty and there was definitely some question of it pushing into the head chopper. On Wed the water was enough higher that the left side became a reactionary. Tunnel cleaned up a bit at the higher level, but we wanted no part of the right hole.

Phillips, That is really cool about the old guide book. Thanks for digging it up!

That is crazy about the beat down in Gore. The holes were huge in there, and it was a game of dodge the beat down!

Can't wait to see everyone on the river.

Jesse