Gore - first time with a playboat, which boat to use? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-28-2005   #1

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Gore - first time with a playboat, which boat to use?

Im head to gore this weekend, and I want to take a playboat. Ive done the section mulitple times in a creeker, but never a playboat. Ive got a g-ride and a forplay. Which would be better? g-ride has the volume, but is really squirty. Forplay has the length, but less volume. If there a difference in either for what I should use.

Josh

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2005   #2

Foreplay will be more stable. I've taken O-fish and had lots of fun. Kind of lonely nowadays in a playboat without the Chunder Posse around but there is some decent surf. A really good one after Applesauce and a nice green glassy after Tunnel. Watch that seem in the "sneak" at Gore. After you boof you have to re-enter the main flow and it always f****s with a playboat.
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #3

Here's a thought: TAKE WHICHEVER BOAT YOU WILL BE MOST COMFORTABLE SWIMMING OUT OF!

But seriously, take whichever one you like paddling the best, sheesh!
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2005   #4

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Your results may vary - but I took a Forplay down Gore and was GRIPPED. Granted it was the first time I had ever run gore, and it was 1300cfs. I spent a lot of time in a stern squirt. I didn't run it in a playboat until a few years later, and after at least a dozen trips in a creek boat. My friends were giving me shit about it so I finaly caved and paddled a Pop down. Was really suprised that it didn't seem to be any harder than when I paddled my creek boat. Later on I had a Release and was so miserable in it fit wise that I paddled my creek boat rather than subject myself to that torture chamber. So anyways, probably not much help but that was my experience.
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I don't know about the g-ride but I always thought my old foreplay was a great river runner- punches holes pretty well. smokey has a point about the Gore sneak in a playboat. Last time I did it, it resulted in 2 quick rolls right in the middle of the rapid (see little green necky chronic in the carnage section of the 94 video).
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #6

student
I paddled Gore with a guy who took a G ride down. He was perfectly fine and looked very comfortable in his boat. But the paddle in sucked ass for him....that has to be the slowest boat I have ever seen.
howlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #7

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
alright, thanks guys.

If anyone wants to join us, camping at pumphouse friday night, put in time between 1030-11am
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #8
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
just cause you are in a play boat is no excuse not to run the meat.

the curtain...aka...rotisserie...boof is so much fun in a six foot boat, and don't forget sissors.

jmack -- damn, brother, i didn't know you were firing up gore back in '94. I bet everyone wanted to get there hands on your "space age" chronic back then.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
nobody likes a smartass Alex- you know I meant '04. Don't be bitter just because you are spending 12 hours a day in the library.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote