Gore Canyon Whitewater Park-Need support Letters re Fall use - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-27-2012   #1

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Gore Canyon Whitewater Park-Need support Letters re Fall use

Grand County is planning to build a whitewater park on the Colorado River below Gore Canyon, just above Pumphouse and at Inspiration Point. We need letters of support from boaters showing that people will use the Gore Canyon Whitewater Park--especially in the fall. Would you use the proposed Gore Canyon Whitewater Park from Labor Day to Oct 15 if it was built? If you support fall boating on the Colorado River, please take a moment to say so in a brief letter.
I can send you a sample draft letter that you can cut and paste into a private message to me. (Sorry--couldn't seem to attach it to this note.) QUICK DEADLINE: Letters need to be emailed to me by Wednesday, March 7.
Thank you for your help. CarolineBradford -at- wildblue. net

CaroBradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012   #2

Denver, Colorado
Sent a letter. Love the idea of a good surf after running Gore Canyon. Great idea!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #3

Eagle, Colorado
First, Thanks to all of you who are emailing letters of support to me! They are most appreciated.

Second, As part of the project, Grand County is proposing to improve the road and infrastructure just upstream/east of Pump House at the area called Inspiration Point. This includes improving the access road, (currently for high clearance 4WD only) new bathrooms, changing area, parking lot, camping spots, etc on BLM land that will be leased to the County for recreational purposes.

Don't hesitate to contact me with any other questions about the project. Thanks again for the support for Grand County's efforts to protect and promote boating on the Upper C!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012   #4

I realize that it may not be feasible (not enough vertical), but I think if the WW park was created between the Pumphouse boat ramps, the features would get use from Gore boaters as well as the plethora of beginner/intermediate boaters who float the pumphouse section. It would also have way better visibility and appreciation from tourists, who are the ones spending money in the area, and who by and large put-in at pumphouse. Although my Gore days are over, I have kayaked Gore over 30 times, and I now routinely raft the pumphouse section, and I have no idea where inspiration point is....

Just curious if the new area would have a boat launch for rafts or would it be basically a Gore canyon take-out, and would there still be the BLM user fee?
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #5

Eagle, Colorado
There are two whitewater features planned: One would be just where you are suggesting at Pumphouse (at the little island between launch 1 and 2) for all the reasons you suggested. The second feature would be about 1/4 mile upstream.

To access the upstream site, you would take the dirt road down to the river off Trough Road just east of Pump House road. There are some informal campsites along that dirt road now. I understand this area is sometimes called Inspiration Point by folks from Grand County--although it is a new name for me as well. This is NOT proposed as another launch for rafts although there will be good viewing for folks who just want to hang out and watch at both sites.

The question of fees hasn't been figured out yet. BLM has a lengthy process to make changes like that, but some think it would be a good idea to have it be the same fee system as Pump so as not to cause confusion.

Thanks for your support. As someone who has a lot of experience with this area, please stay in touch. We'd love to have your continued input. -Caroline
Old 02-28-2012   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Wow! I've received 11 support letters since I posted this just yesterday--that's great! I'm hoping to have 50 Mountain Buzz boaters who will send me an email and post in support of fall boating on the Upper C at the new Gore Canyon Whitewater Park. Can I get 10 letters per day? We'll find out!
Email your short and sweet note today to CarolineBradford (at) wildblue. net.

To Whom It May Concern:
I am a boater who lives in ____. If and when Grand County builds the proposed Colorado River - Gore Canyon Whitewater Park, I intend to use the features for non-motorized boating activities between Labor Day and October 15th of any given year.
I support this project because ____.
Name (required) Mailing Address (required) Email or phone (required)
Old 02-28-2012   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The road down to that area is STEEP. It is nice removed camping, although I've not used it in years. Is there any chance of a higher access option? There are a bunch of 3-3+ rapids in there that could be a big draw for intermediate boaters.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #8

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Labor day to Oct. 15 is a short time frame for use. Does this mean the park will be off limits or closed the rest of the year?
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #9

Eagle, Colorado
The Gore Canyon Whitewater Park will be open ALL YEAR ROUND, except when it is covered in ice. The narrow time frame in the letter is only because questions have been raised about whether there would be any demand by boaters to use the river in fall, outside of the peak summer time.

And Yes, the current access road is very steep. Grand County has proposed to improve (rebuild) the existing 4X4 road for cars and put in appropriate parking, bathrooms etc. This is the best spot for using the old road and limiting additional impacts.

Just received 4 more letters! Thank you for taking the time to write. Keep them coming!
Old 02-28-2012   #10

Denver, Colorado
I wrote my letter already, but I'd add one comment about "questions about boating use in the fall". While boating does drop off as it gets later in the season, the colorado river is one of the few rivers in colorado that is flowing at boatable flows during the fall from labor day through October. The question about boating use in the fall shows that the people asking the question don't really know much about boating on the colorado in the fall. People drive from new mexico, wyoming, utah, and durango to paddle gore in the fall. A small sampling of letters won't do fall use justice. Maybe historic permit fees (not sure if you have it sorted by month) could help out there.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark