Gore Canyon Race Closure Map (160KB image) - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-15-2005   #1

Steamboat, Colorado
Gore Canyon Race Closure Map (160KB image)

See below for this year's Gore Canyon Race closure map from the BLM. If you have any trouble viewing the map, it is also available for viewing here:
https://mountainbuzz.com/events/gore/...ce_map_web.jpg

Note that the railroad track is 100% off-limits to anyone, and closure will be strictly enforced. All foot traffic will need to follow the black dotted line that follows the river, shown on the detailed map below. The red dotted line shows the closure areas. The 'foot trail' is kind of precarious from what I can tell, consisting of loose boulders and a river crossing. Good footware and good balance is probably a good idea here. Dogs may have a hard time past Kirschbaum rapid.

Please address all questions/concerns about the closure to the following persons, and post here to keep everyone up to date:

Ryan Homan
970-724-3040

Denis Gale
970-724-3005

P.S. BLM is sending a press release shortly. I will post this as soon as I get it.

frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2005   #2

oh yeah
what is the suggested "ferry" between toilet bowl and kirschbaum? swimming?!
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
Either swim or ride in a raft. They'll have rafts available for this purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2005   #4

Two questions:

Do we have to walk the mile from overflow parking to Pumphouse, or will there be a shuttle? I'm willing to buy the driver a beer.

The BLM will love this question: Can we short-cut the trail by walking down from the turnout where the trough road first hits the canyon, way above the river? Yea, it's a steep drop down, but that would be a cool hike.

Am I lazy?
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
We will be positioning a raft at the ferry and manning it for those people interested in the walk. I'd be happy to accept a volunteer to help me run this.

I just got off the phone with Mark at Rapid Pulse and he wanted me to add that the race will occur in Gore. Any discussion of Pumphouse to Radium is incorrect. He knows what the water looks like.

If you have any questions about the closure or the race levels, you can call Mark at 303-981-8295.

Sam
Sam F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstork
Two questions:

Do we have to walk the mile from overflow parking to Pumphouse, or will there be a shuttle? I'm willing to buy the driver a beer.

The BLM will love this question: Can we short-cut the trail by walking down from the turnout where the trough road first hits the canyon, way above the river? Yea, it's a steep drop down, but that would be a cool hike.

Am I lazy?

In the event parking at the campground is full, then a bus shuttle will be setup between the overflow parking area and Pumphouse. Beer always makes a good tip.

Not sure about the shortcut thing. If it's what I'm thinking then that's a steep ass hike for sure, nothing lazy about it. Good luck.

Also, just got off the phone with Mark and we're guaranteed 750cfs in the canyon for Friday and Saturday.
Old 08-16-2005   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Last year I hiked in with some people and swam accross between toilet bowl and kirschbaum. There's a calm pool there and it was no big deal. It was actually kind of nice as it was hot on the hike in. Just bring your pfd and a drybag for your gear.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote