Gore Canyon Race 2008 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2008   #1
Tim Kennedy

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Gore Canyon Race 2008

The Gore Canyon Race is back. Saturday August 16, 2008.

Lisa Reeder at Timberline Tours has organized the necessary permits from the BLM and has been working with the Kremmling Chamber of Commerce to organize a festival in the Kremmling town center.

Go to www.gorecanyon.com or www.timberlinetours.com/gorerace.html for details and registration forms.

We (myself and Charlie Ebel) are also seeking paddlers to help with race day safety. Any paddlers (rafters or kayakers) who are interested in helping with safety boating please post here, PM me, or contact me at [email protected] or (970) 390 5076. We (and I assume most of the racers) prefer paddlers with some medical and/or swiftwater rescue/safety boating experience. As always, there is not be be anyone walking on the railroad tracks. All parties interested in providing race day safety support will need to be able to get down the canyon on the river. You will need to have your own kayak or raft (or C1 or canoe), throwbag, whistle, knife, small first aid kit, (and pin kit if you have one), and the knowledge and ability to use this equipment. I will post further details as I get them.

Thanks,

Tim Kennedy

P.S. Admins, can we make this sticky?

Tim Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008   #2

Is there anyone planning to paddle a WaveHopper?
E-Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Send a message via MSN to producerchik Send a message via Yahoo to producerchik
Do you have to have a boat to see the races? I am not racing. I am just wanting to go, to see the action.
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008   #4
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by producerchik View Post
Do you have to have a boat to see the races? I am not racing. I am just wanting to go, to see the action.
You can't really see the action without being a part of the action. There will probably be people making sure that you don't walk the tracks.

You could take your ducky...

How was your Brown's duck trip? I'm glad to see that you're pushing your own rubber already! It's addictive, huh?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
have her duckie gore.. ahah

go for it. i will paddle my walmart inflatable next to you if you want.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Send a message via MSN to producerchik Send a message via Yahoo to producerchik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
You can't really see the action without being a part of the action. There will probably be people making sure that you don't walk the tracks.

You could take your ducky...

How was your Brown's duck trip? I'm glad to see that you're pushing your own rubber already! It's addictive, huh?
You're funny! Yeah, I think I will pass on duckying Gore Canyon. I am thinking I want to live a little while longer. I really wish I could see the races though. Oh well. My trip through Brown's Canyon by duckie was freaking awesome. Thankfully, no carnage. It is totally addicting. I have become one of you guys!
Old 08-06-2008   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Yes you can see the action without paddling gore. You can hike up the river left bank from pumphouse to see some of the last rapids. Train tracks are on river right. You can easily get to kirschbaum, the last big long rapid. Best carnage and entertainment that you could get to will likely be at tunnel or toilet bowl, which you should also be able to hike up to. Might need to cross the river, but they should have some rafts there to ferry folks across.

Its a couple of miles in the heat on a not so easy trail, but definitely worth it to see some action.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Also, if you want to have a fun class III weekend at the gore race, hike gore sat and watch the action, then have fun at the party afterwards. Sunday shake off the hangover and take the duckies down pumphouse. Nice fun weekend.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #9

Westminster, Colorado
Solved!

Come on Jamie. Use your resources. Lets get the SkyFox helo revved up. You can watch and tape the whole day.

If I get to ride I'll chip in $20 for gas and bring my throw bag to help with safety.
Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #10

Denver, Colorado
Actually...

Quote:
I have become one of you guys!
Well, you'll also have to quit your job at Fox to truly become one of us.

-d