Is there a race Sat, Aug 18th?

suigeneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2007   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
who cares

even if they don't have the festival or race we should still have our own race boatercross from above gore to the end of tunnel! what does every body think?

is the white strip (park and huck by breck) still have water?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #3

golden
Yes people will show up to race and party no matter if it is official or not.
I heard there is an all girl boat training training for the race from Fort Collins. Legend has it they are pretty bad ass.

Aug 18th!

The shuttles may not be as nice as last year though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
even if they don't have the festival or race we should still have our own race boatercross from above gore to the end of tunnel! what does every body think?

is the white strip (park and huck by breck) still have water?
miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2007   #4

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Just a heads up

I read this article a while back and all the talk about having an unofficial race made me think of it. I think it is a bunch of BS but I could see it happening up there

The Denver Post - Risking a ticket to ride
ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
ahah its official unofficial

so if everybody shows up same weekend weird! thats all i would say they can't say we can't be there or not its our right! we won't have boths and shit so what the race is in the canyon everybody lines up and goes creek boats play boats it doesn't matter who ever makes it first gets the first beer!
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #6

golden
what race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarlson972 View Post
I read this article a while back and all the talk about having an unofficial race made me think of it. I think it is a bunch of BS but I could see it happening up there

The Denver Post - Risking a ticket to ride
You do not need a permit to privately run gore. Last year there were a few gun toting BLM guys there really hating everyone on BLM land. I asked one guy about the shuttles up to the put-in and he told me, "There are no shuttles. Looks like you are fucked!" As soon as I turned around the parade of busses came through the lot. It is a control thing. If they can not stop the race they will be writing as many tickets as they see fit. Count on that. Just be safe, smart and quiet like a fox.
I am sure they are reading this post. So expect them to be around.
Old 07-20-2007   #7
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I know you're expressing your opinion and your experience Miker, so don't consider this an attack or rebuttal to your post.

Maybe it's just that I'm a peace loving guy, but I don't think there is or needs to be any bitter feelings between boaters and BLM folks, even though I know the race has raised some conflicts in the past. I think most BLM people are largely just out there trying to protect the beautiful land they love, and honestly that's not any different than the attitude of almost all us boaters. I think the conflicts just largely stem from misunderstandings and stupid human emotions and aggressions, which could all be solved by using more of that dick cream that caspermike is always talking about.

Seriously though, I plan on being out at Gore that weekend and I hope we can (and I don't see any reason we can't), work things out such that it's a good time for all.

Does anyone know from years past, when the race was informal and unofficial what was done to keep things in order or what land use issues need to be addressed, if any?
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #8

golden
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
I know you're expressing your opinion and your experience Miker, so don't consider this an attack or rebuttal to your post.

Maybe it's just that I'm a peace loving guy, but I don't think there is or needs to be any bitter feelings between boaters and BLM folks, even though I know the race has raised some conflicts in the past. I think most BLM people are largely just out there trying to protect the beautiful land they love, and honestly that's not any different than the attitude of almost all us boaters. I think the conflicts just largely stem from misunderstandings and stupid human emotions and aggressions, which could all be solved by using more of that dick cream that caspermike is always talking about.

Seriously though, I plan on being out at Gore that weekend and I hope we can (and I don't see any reason we can't), work things out such that it's a good time for all.

Does anyone know from years past, when the race was informal and unofficial what was done to keep things in order or what land use issues need to be addressed, if any?
I don't mean to attack the BLM or the people who work for them. But I have not seen anything but hostility against the event from them.

Loving the land...Come on we all know that the BLM land is mostly over oil and land rich in mineral deposits.

I agree with your tactics and hope to see you there.
Old 07-20-2007   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker View Post
Loving the land...Come on we all know that the BLM land is mostly over oil and land rich in mineral deposits.
Yes, I confess I had this very thought as I was writing, but in my sanguine, peace loving Friday afternoon mood, I'd like to believe that only reflects a few of the scumbags on top, and is not a reflection of the people in the agency as a whole.
Old 07-20-2007   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker View Post
The shuttles may not be as nice as last year though.
And honestly, shuttles not as nice last year? I'll take my chances...