Gore Canyon Info???? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-09-2015   #1

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Gore Canyon Info????

Just watched this video. Now videos never do a river justice, and I usually x15 on videos, but it looks manageable I wonder what another 620cfs does to that run. I usually like to run something at a normal flow before running it higher, but with good beta, and a good crew that knows it at that flow I may be down to checking it out. It has been on my list for a while, and that style of whitewater is what I live for. Anyone got beta? What are the holes like. Are they reasonably avoidable? What are the geology hazards? Sieves? Undercuts? What is the scouting/ portaging potential for the major rapids? Gore is high on my list, and higher water gore is even higher on my list, but I have a huge respect for river running, and am not a checklist boater. If it is one of those runs that gets nasty at this level I would rather opt out. If it is a run that you are practicing hole avoidance, and punching holes with nothing to terminal I would be down to checking it out. From the video(and editing could play a part in this) the rapids do not look as long as the rapids on the NF, and looks like there may be a little extra recovery than I am used to. I am not a high water North Forker. I have ran most of it around 2500 cfs, and everything, but Jakes at 1800. Current flow is 1800, and I have a month of recent runs down the North Fork at 1800, and a few at 2100 this year. With that said I am comfortable in bigger water just haven't caught that one big yet.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015   #2
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Gore is High quality.

With your experience you would enjoy Gore with good flow. I would be happy to show down anytime. 612.710.1462 For more videos and pictures check out the Gore Canyon Page Here is a video from the other day [email protected]
Old 07-10-2015   #3
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
info...

What are the holes like. Are they reasonably avoidable? Some are stickier then others, all are avoidable with good lines or portaging.
What are the geology hazards? Sharp rocks, railroad debris.
Sieves? yes
Undercuts? yes
What is the scouting/ portaging potential for the major rapids? All rapids are easily scouted or portaged.
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Brian your gore page face book link doesn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
Brian your gore page face book link doesn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Works for me. Members only I suspect.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #6
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Gore is fantastic at higher than normal levels if you're up for it. There is a major difference from the 2700-3000 levels and 3100 and up. That is--Pyrite becomes more retentive and more difficult to run successfully, so most will opt to portage it and/or Gore rapid at flows over 3k. The video in your original post doesn't show Gore or Pyrite, and shows kind of a sneak entrance to Kirshbaum's at the end. It is representative of the rest of the run which becomes mostly class V big water (some IV+) at higher flow, as opposed to the class IV-IV+ that is is at typical 900-1200 release levels.

A major difference from "normal" levels around 1000 and high levels is the consequence of swimming. The river is pushy and unforgiving, and the chance of losing your gear is great if you go for a dip when high. So prerequisites are a bomber big water roll, and confidence in paddling on pushy high volume rivers.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
The good news, FSM, is even if you don't actually coordinate with Bank, he'll likely be there anyway. I actually think Brian doesn't exist like normal people do. I think he's a benevolent river spirit that shows up to guide paddlers through the awesomeness on gore then, at the takeout, he disappears. Disappears is actually a misnomer, he just goes back to the put in to show the next group down.
Old 07-11-2015   #8

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Awesome I just saw this. When you you meet up 801-678-9130 I would love to try for today, tomorrow I might be able to go. Monday if I stretch my time here a little.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015   #9

4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Gore is great with water, you'll be fine.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote