Gore Canyon in a Cataraft - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-04-2008   #1

Gore Canyon in a Cataraft

Does anyone run Gore in a Cat? At what level?
Just got back from the NF Payette and do not want the season to be over. Thanks for any info!

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008   #2

People definitely run it in cats over 800. Very doable.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #3
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I'll go with ya in my cat.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008   #4

niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
gore in cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Just got back from the NF Payette and do not want the season to be over. Thanks for any info!
yes- down to 980 and up to 1300-1400- and I will be running this sunday- should get there around 9-10 to rig
wayne
wayniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
800 is a bit boney, but still doable in a paddle raft and I don't see why it would be that different in a cat. 850-875 is better. Tomorrow figures to be about 1400-1450 - highside of so called medium. Gore gets harder and pushier, but wrap rock is less likely to live up to its name.

I still haven't gotten to see anyone run Gore Rapid in a Cat or non-creature craft oar rig. It would be great to watch someone clean it. I also don't quite get how to stay in your seat going over tunnel falls - Unless you just drop the oars and hold on. But I am looking forward to watching and learning from wayniac tomorrow.

Mania - you gonna rally for tomorrow?

Rich - call if you are interested 3/748/0509...I've only run the Lower 5 - Gore is more technical/tight IMHO. We didn't run Hounds Tooth and stuff above it, so i can't compare those to Gore. The portage at gore isn't to bad, but you would need a helper unless you have a especially light rig.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008   #6

niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
800 is a bit boney, but still doable in a paddle raft and I don't see why it would be that different in a cat. 850-875 is better. Tomorrow figures to be about 1400-1450 - highside of so called medium. Gore gets harder and pushier, but wrap rock is less likely to live up to its name.

I still haven't gotten to see anyone run Gore Rapid in a Cat or non-creature craft oar rig. It would be great to watch someone clean it. I also don't quite get how to stay in your seat going over tunnel falls - Unless you just drop the oars and hold on. But I am looking forward to watching and learning from wayniac tomorrow.

Mania - you gonna rally for tomorrow?

Rich - call if you are interested 3/748/0509...I've only run the Lower 5 - Gore is more technical/tight IMHO. We didn't run Hounds Tooth and stuff above it, so i can't compare those to Gore. The portage at gore isn't to bad, but you would need a helper unless you have a especially light rig.
I'm in a red chevy silverado with yellow cat on trailer. I'll get there around 9 ish. I'm looking to hook up with KSC and his crew, but also waiting for another kayaker who may make the trip. My normal cat buds have bagged it this time around.
wayne
wayniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008   #7

Gore!

sorry wayne...but ksc and crew were out there today. I think he's pushing his tricycle up some sandy hills tomorrow.

have a great day - it was beautiful out there today.

S
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #8

"wrap rock" ?...living up to it's name?...never heard of it..you probably mean "decision rock" in "Gore" rapid..... It's a pour over at 1430.
And Gore canyon has been run many times in an oar boat.."reg raft"..
I have run Gore in a paddle boat approx 125 times..(from 1980 to last friday)
from 475 cfs to 2000 +...lines are pretty much the same..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
ballbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I thought in Gore rapid starting from the big hole (Ginger) and moving river right that the rocks were called: Gilligan's Island, Indecision, and then Wrap Rock. What do you call them?

How is Gore in a paddle raft at 475? Sounds boney. Do the rapids and flats channelize well? How is the paddle in at the top?
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #10

I'd say you are pretty much correct...the rock backing up Ginger's hole is gilligans..the one ya slam into right after the channel is decision...I just never heard the other rock called "wrap" rock..but hey..sounds good to me..kinda funny that one rapid has so many names..and other class III+ / IV rapids don't really have "exact" names. At 475 in a paddle boat, (I did an R2.). dooo-able, but sucked,,however, it does channel well. Tunnel and Kirsh get interesting. The paddle in sux...dodging sandbars...I'm enjoying Gore at these levels this year..I don't understand why there was 875 cfs during the race, and now 1400+,

also ,I'm thinking of getting something together to put pressure on the railroad..perhaps a lawsuit, They are picky about "no" tresspassing, yet they dump all kinds of dangerous shit right onto the river banks and into the river. I had a 6' piece of wire wrap my leg right on river level running Safety on "Gore" rapid last Friday. I've had my self snagged on shovels. old wire. rebar. old buckets of grease , all kinds of nasty crap.
I say let's all get together and see what we can do legal,( or not), to bring this cock suckers to justice..no..they are not invincible!
ballbuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataraft