Gore Canyon August 16, 2008 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-08-2008   #1

Eagle-Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Gore Canyon August 16, 2008

GORE CANYON FESTIVAL 2008! So we are one weekend away; I had a conference call with the railroad and blm kremmling this morning and everyone is excited about the event, however, one thing is constant; WE MUST STAY RIVER LEFT!!! If on river right it means you are safety and on river level, or you have been ferryed across the river above Kirshbaum's and are hiking up to Tunnel to watch and are doing so at RIVER LEVEL. If you are scouting you are RIVER LEFT!! I don't have the funds to purchase t-shirts for event this year. If we have good participation in the race then we will go there next year; if I had done up shirts they would have read "Gore Canyon Festival 2008, STAY RIVER LEFT"!! Got it everyone, let's do this right so we have our event back to stay.... see you all there. Lisa

timberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008   #2

BLM Closures and Restrictions for 2008 Gore Canyon Race:

Heads up! BLM will have a couple of closures this weekend to support the Gore Canyon Race. First, the access road to the put-in for Gore Canyon, will be closed to public use starting Saturday morning, August 16th. You will be able to access the put-in by using a shuttle bus provided by the event organizer. You can catch the shuttle buses at Pumphouse. The closure will be in effect until 3PM on Saturday.
The second closure will be at the Launch #3 area at Pumphouse. Starting on Friday, August 15th, Launch #3 will be closed to public use. The Launch #3 area will be used for parking and staging for the event. The closure will be in effect until noon on Sunday, August 17th. Only race participants, spectators, and event personnel will be allowed into the area during the closure.
To accommodate the anticipated number of campers and protect the natural resources at Pumphouse over the weekend, the following restrictions will be in place for camping at Pumphouse in dispersed and developed camping areas.Fees for developed sites are $10 and there can only be 2 vehicles per site. All developed sites are first come first serve. On Friday night, dispersed camping will be allowed in a designated walk-in area adjacent to the group camp site in the Launch #3 area. Saturday night dispersed camping will be allowed in both the walk-in area and in the group campsite. Fees for dispersed camping will be $1 per person. Campfires will only be allowed in the developed campsites. No campfires will be allowed in the dispersed camping area. Check the bulletin board at the fee station at Pumphouse for more details.
Dispersed camping will be available at the usual sites along the Trough Road. Remember to use sustainable camping practices: use established sites; keep your vehicle on existing roads; dig a cat hole for human waste disposal (or use a land fill-approved bag system to pack it out); and pack out all your trash.
BLM thanks you in advance for your cooperation with these restrictions and your support to make this years race a success.
andyatBLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Help me out here...Launch 3 is the furthest downstream launch, or furthest upstream launch?

Water's come up, I was hoping to catch a day run on Pumphouse this Saturday.
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008   #4

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Lisa, the registration site says that we will get a 2008 t-shirt. Is that incorrect?
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #5

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
It is incorrect. No t-shirts this year.

hobie
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
hobie or anybody know what time all the safety boaters should be around?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #7

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Tim Kennedy and Charlie Ebel are doing all of the safety organization and they need help for sure. They can be reached at [email protected]

I am continuing to gather gear so you should win some cool prizes for your help. Nike just tossed in some river shoes and a golf bag (I know, maybe use it for paddles Your help is much appreciated. I know they would be happy to hear from you and anyone else you know that could help on Saturday.

h
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #8

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Hobie can you get me one a'them 'River left' T-Shirts?
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardance42 View Post
Help me out here...Launch 3 is the furthest downstream launch, or furthest upstream launch?
Sorry to be a pest here.

The furthest upstream launch will be closed? The one with the trailhead up the canyon and multiple ramps, or the downstream one?

If it's the upstream one, can recreational users still use the lower two launches on Saturday?
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardance42 View Post
Sorry to be a pest here.

The furthest upstream launch will be closed? The one with the trailhead up the canyon and multiple ramps, or the downstream one?

If it's the upstream one, can recreational users still use the lower two launches on Saturday?
Launch #3 is the furthest downstream launch. The two upstream launches will be open for public use during the race. Hope this helps.
andyatBLM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
august