Gore Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-19-2008   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Send a message via MSN to producerchik Send a message via Yahoo to producerchik
Gore Canyon

I've been rafting all summer long, and everyone's telling me I HAVE to raft Gore Canyon. I hear it's the most complicated run in the state, maybe country. First of all, when will Gore be open to commercial rafting. And my second question, should I be scared? I had one person tell me I need to make sure I have life insurance. Then I had one raft guide say he refuses to do Gore Canyon. I've seen lots of video of Gore Canyon. With a great guide, I totallly think it will be awesome.

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2008   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Can you do 20 push ups? Can you do a pull up? Can you run a mile? Have you ever swam in a fast river and got yourself to shore?

If you answered yes to all of these, call Arkansas Valley Adventures and ask for Kenny Kiley to take you down. If you answered no, you're probably not ready for that experience.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by producerchik View Post
I've been rafting all summer long, and everyone's telling me I HAVE to raft Gore Canyon. I hear it's the most complicated run in the state, maybe country. First of all, when will Gore be open to commercial rafting. And my second question, should I be scared? I had one person tell me I need to make sure I have life insurance. Then I had one raft guide say he refuses to do Gore Canyon. I've seen lots of video of Gore Canyon. With a great guide, I totallly think it will be awesome.
i thought it sounded like fun as well, but skipped it because i would never want to swim there. but that's just like my opinion.
boatingbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2008   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Can you do 20 push ups? Can you do a pull up? Can you run a mile? Have you ever swam in a fast river and got yourself to shore?

If you answered yes to all of these, call Arkansas Valley Adventures and ask for Kenny Kiley to take you down. If you answered no, you're probably not ready for that experience.
I know I can do it. I'm not worried about that one bit. I'm in shape and a very good swimmer. Not to mention, I have had to swim some this summer. What does it compared to other Class V whitewater in the state? By the way, I tried to do a trip with you guys on the Poudre. I called several times, and no one returned my phone calls. I even called other outfitters, and had the same issue. I guess the Poudre isn't getting any love this summer. Too bad.
Old 07-19-2008   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingbuss View Post
i thought it sounded like fun as well, but skipped it because i would never want to swim there. but that's just like my opinion.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of swimming in class V whitewater either. But if you make it through it just fine, I feel like the experience will be well worth it probably.
Old 07-19-2008   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I've done Royal Gorge, Pine Creek and the Numbers, the Upper Animas and Gore Canyon on commercial trips. Gore is much more challenging than the rest. I also recommend AVA for this trip and Kenny is a great guide. All the guides for AVA that do Gore are great.
xena13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #7

I thought this was a boaters forum but I guess its ok for it to be a guide to commercial companies. Never mind Ive had a few drinks.
cayce weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #8
sj

She's asking about a specific river. And she is asking about commercial. I don't see anything wrong with it. I am however amused at the initial description.

You could get hurt but if you are in above average shape tend to embrace mishap instead of dread it. You should do fine. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It seems like just a couple of weeks ago that there were folks complaining about commercial rafting clients getting in over their heads by booking trips without a clue what they were getting into. Even though a lot of us don't take the commercial rafting experience very seriously, I'd call Gore a serious run and have to say producerchik's doing better than the other 99.9999% of commercial rafters by asking the folks who run it regularly for the beta. She's stepping it up - good for her.

I'll add, here's a member of the media learning about boating and we've got a chance to show her what private boaters do and the culture of safety we have that makes us different from most of the whitewater casualties her industry reports on (i.e. tubers & yahoos on pool toys w/o PFDs). Hopefully while she's on the river she'll learn about some of the real issues like Colorado's hydrography and its often-dysfunctional water allocation system, our uniquely bad riparian trespass laws, pressing environmental issues, etc.

SYOTR,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Can you write your name in the snow? Can you get a stripper's attention without a dollar bill? Can you look a really ugly child in the eye without laughing?

More importantly, are you okay with the possibility of taking an extra-shitty whitewater swim? If you are, fire it up (with a guide who know what he or she is doing).
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote