Gore at ~1900 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-01-2010   #1

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Gore at ~1900

We are planning a Saturday morning run down Gore.

We've all been down it a bunch of times from 800 to 1200(+). We are solid IV+/V- boaters.

Wondering what we should expect?

Specifically:
Toilet Bowl sneak
Kirshbaum's

thanks

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010   #2

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Gore at 1800?

I have run Gore a lot from 800-1600 but haven't run higher than that.

Any beta for this level, how does it compare to 1200-1400 (my most frequently paddled level)? We have a group heading up Saturday morning and several folks are on the fence.

The time I ran it around 1600 I felt that it was easier than lower levels as things started to pad out, is the extra 200 add more padding or more meat?

Thanks for the help.
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #3

Seattle, Washington
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
It's the same, a bit more padded, a bit more pushy. Nothing changes from 800-2200 give or take except for the push and pad. Lines remain the same.

Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010   #4

Seattle, Washington
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Sneak goes, da Bomb is the same, just bigger.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #5

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Great minds think a like, how funny. Now we have to track two threads. We'll see if we get the same responses.
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The highest I've done it is 1700 and I thought that it was pushier and harder than 1200-1400. I also felt that way about 1600 though. That said, the most notable section that stepped up was the Gore through Pyrite series. The meat of Tunnel seems more serious but you can sneak the left side.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #7

Thornton, Colorado
Moderator: My buddy and I posted pretty much the same question at almost the same time (Teletumbler) You can delete this one.

B.C.
Old 07-01-2010   #8

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I merged the two threads for you so all the beta is retained.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
1800 is noticeably pushier than 1200, in my opinion. Yeah, it's more padded, but there's a lot more big holes to take you offline, flip you, or take you for a ride. I got cartwheeled in the Gore sneak and Kirschbaum's kicked my ass because I kinda got lost in the big water. Partly because I didn't bring the creekboat and spent 1/2 the rapid in an unintended stern squirt. Definitely poor boat choice. I don't recall Toilet Bowl being an issue - I think I gutted the tongue on the middle / right instead of the sneak.

In my opinion, you could be a pretty solid IV paddler and still manage the lines, but you should have a solid class V roll that is reliable in heavy water. Since you've familiar with the run, you're going to know how to gauge how much the run has taxed you versus lower flows by the time you get through Gore. I'd say that Kirschbaum's is the one that you really have to be concerned about, just because of its length & difficulty to set safety.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010   #10

Thornton, Colorado
Follow up:

It was 1740 cfs when we put got to the canyon.

Applesauce: I went over the top of the bottom rock for a great boof. Everyone else disappeared in the normal line and came out fine.

Gore: (Sneak) Indecision rock was mostly covered and had a good amount of boil before and after. However we all ran either left or right of it without a problem.

Scissors: looked intimidating, so we all opted for the either the far left line (pushing into a rock) or the far far left sneak. (Whew)

Pyrite: I can only speak for my line, which was right... ...I know. However I squirted through the hole just fine. Everyone else had no complaints or problems.

Tunnel: The far left sneak rock slide was very cool, I wish that was in more.

Toilet Bowl: I guess the sneak went fine. I found myself backwards and bunched up. I didn't want to do the sneak backwards so I decided to peel out and hit the "tongue" left of center. I paddled as hard as I could and apparently had the best timed boof of my life. I got flipped, but rolled facing down stream and doing a combo forward stroke brace to come out to hoops and hollers, and one "what were you thinking?"

Kirshbaum's: Bigger, and a little pushier, but better than I figured it would be.

All in All I'd say 1700 was a great level.

B.C.