GoPro Stern Mount test...Easy SE Creekin' - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-10-2013   #1

Bugtussle, Kentucky
GoPro Stern Mount test...Easy SE Creekin'

I was all ready to make my own mount but Jackson came out with a pretty cool elevated GoPro mount...spendy but it works well.
Burned out on the same ole helmet cam POV...this is a nice addition to other angles.
No gnar, just some low stress class 3/4...Great Smoky Mountains National Park area...Lower Big Creek, Middle Fork of the Little Pigeon, Little River and Tellico River.
Seems like a carnage magnet, only flipped once but it was fluffy so no issues.

Don't forget...2 weeks to go to submit your best video to the National Paddling Film Festival. Entries are free this year. Be a part of one of American Whitewater's biggest fundraisers and have your video or photo seen by hundreds of adoring fans.

National Paddling Film Festival

Brandon

bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013   #2

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Hi Brandon,

I have been considering a GoPro, but have not jumped in yet for a coiple of reasons. I like the view from your mounting position and really like how it views others when you are in an eddy looking back up stream watching others. However, the picture seems to be bouncy, when you are paddling, it seemed especially shakey at the beginning of your video.

I have a couple of questions, if you have time to educate me:

Is there a setting to minimize the bouncy video?

How do you get the data into your computer? USB, Firewire, memory card?

What editiing software did you use? My home computer is running Win95 and has firewire. Wondering if this would work with editing software or if I need to upgrade computer? I did a movie a while back using Ulead video editing software that I think trashed my hard drive.

Thanks,
Old 01-10-2013   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
bjett, I REALLY like the PoV of that Jackson stern mount. After only a year, I'm also burned out on that PoV and want multiple angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Niwot View Post
Hi Brandon,

I have been considering a GoPro, but have not jumped in yet for a coiple of reasons. I like the view from your mounting position and really like how it views others when you are in an eddy looking back up stream watching others. However, the picture seems to be bouncy, when you are paddling, it seemed especially shakey at the beginning of your video.

I have a couple of questions, if you have time to educate me:

Is there a setting to minimize the bouncy video?
Yes and no. No--look at how much his head is moving--the camera is actually more stable on the stern mount in this video.

Yes--if you shoot at a higher resolution, some editing software will stabilize the image by trying to take the similar pixels out of the middle of each frame and rotate/shift each frame slightly to line them all up.

Biggest trick is to remember that your boat/body are the tripod and try to keep it stable. Harder to do in more challenging water where you're focused on staying upright!!

Quote:
How do you get the data into your computer? USB, Firewire, memory card?
You can plug the GoPro in via USB, but it's easier to pull the SD card and plug it into a card reader that is plugged into a USB-2 slot in your computer.

Quote:
What editiing software did you use? My home computer is running Win95 and has firewire. Wondering if this would work with editing software or if I need to upgrade computer? I did a movie a while back using Ulead video editing software that I think trashed my hard drive.
You'll want a newer computer with Vista/98 as a minimum, or ideally Windows 7. Video takes a LOT of memory, both on your hard drive and also RAM.

Windows Movie Maker that comes with Win7 is good to start with. YouTube and GoPro also have basic video editing software on their sites. They all work good enough to add some titles/text and clip out the boring parts.

I recently started using Adobe Premiere Elements ($99) which is a huge step up from those free editing packages--more complex, but also a lot less limiting.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013   #4

Sorry couple more questions:

Can you use that Jackson mount on Pyranha boats? It looks like it needs a grab bar to attach to the boat?

Do you saftey tie everything off with leases, if it should hit the bottom and want to release?

Thanks,
Old 01-10-2013   #5

Bugtussle, Kentucky
I didn't really notice to much shakiness, the mount itself is pretty bomber and doesnt move although I did use 3 mounts to make the GoPro a bit taller. Might just be the movement in general? Or the lower quality 720p, I used 60 frames per second for the slow motion effects.

I go directly from the SD card to my laptops card slot. I use a 16GB card in my GoPro, its the older original Hero HD. The new Black would be ideal, it has a remote and much better vid quality. But, its $400.

My laptop barely manages HD, its an older HP. Macbooks or a PC desktop is the best bet for heavy video editing. I prefer laptops though, just bought a brand new super duper HP Elitebook for video editing, looking ofrward to trying it out. I currently use an old version of Premiere Elements 7, the latest is 11. Upgrading that when I get the laptop in.
You cant have enough processor power or memory for HD video editing.
You will definitely need a new computer if you want to start editing HD videos, especially 1080 and above.
Intel quad core processor would be ideal, 8-16GB of ram (or more), Windows 7 Pro.

The mount is secured by a metal hook on the back safety bar, or front if you want to use it that way. Its solid, and the plastic bottom looks like it will break off if you become entangled or hung up on rocks. I dont think its to much of a safety issue, but anytime you have shit hanging off your kayak its gonna be more risky.
I tethered the GoPro with some parachute cord to the safety bar on the back. Not ideal but so far so good. Only had it out on 4 runs, lots of rain on the way down here so I hope to test it ou on some more goods soon.
Old 01-10-2013   #6

Bugtussle, Kentucky
Pyrahna...

someone asked that same question on BoaterTalk...

BoaterTalk: BoaterTalk
Old 01-10-2013   #7

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjett View Post
I currently use an old version of Premiere Elements 7, the latest is 11. Upgrading that when I get the laptop in.
I scored Premiere Elements 10 off eBay for $20 when 11 came out.

Quote:
I tethered the GoPro with some parachute cord to the safety bar on the back. Not ideal but so far so good. Only had it out on 4 runs, lots of rain on the way down here so I hope to test it ou on some more goods soon.
I don't have one, but I'm going to add a floaty backdoor to mine. Figuring if my camera takes a dunk, I'd rather have it tethered and floating nearer the surface than hanging down and banging rocks. Also more likely to find it if the tether breaks.

Last night, I took a spare skeleton back door and aquasealed Goretex over the vents inside and out. I'm going to do some dunk tests without the camera inside, but I'm hoping that I can get some reasonably decent audio compared to what we all get with the tight sealed plastic housing.

Do you Rain-x your outer lens?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013   #8

Thanks for the answers everyone.
Old 01-10-2013   #9

Bugtussle, Kentucky
I do have rain-x, forgot to use it this time but it does work. Licking the lens does wonders too...if you remember to do it. It was really cold when I filmed this stuff, wanted to get in my boat as fast as possible....

A buddy of mine has the floaty attachment. Good idea.
Old 01-10-2013   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
excellent brandon, viewers see what we do..good stuff
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote