GoPro DIY techniques and video - ALSO I ROCK! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-14-2012   #1
doesn't need a fake name

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
GoPro DIY techniques and video - ALSO I ROCK!

Hey buzzards, things are a little slow right now, so I thought people might be interested in the blog post that I just wrote. It's about different stuff to do with your gopro. I describe a couple tricks for cool time lapses, and some of my more successful strange ideas for filming on the river. I also couldn't resist putting together a video showing off how they work, and then I just couldn't make the video boring, so I included as much boating as I could.

The article is here (contains the video):

Leif and Natalie: Cool things to do with your GoPro

and here is a direct link to the video:

p.s. I AM AWESOME.

leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012   #2
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Very cool! Thank you for sharing, the lens cap is a great idea, I am going to make that.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #3

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Good ideas! Thanks!
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012   #4

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Awesome, thanks for the collection of tips.
I got a Hero 2 for Christmas and need to put it to good use this season.
Anyone have recommendations for mounting on a raft?
I can use the helmet mount periodically, like when running Rainie falls or though Blossom but how to best get another perspective without losing the camera or for more mellow sections when I'm not interested in a helmet?
How does one attach a leash to the housing? I've figured out the little white thingy, but what if the mount breaks?

Thanks,
Jerry
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey,
Can u put out an instructional video on how to be awesome? I need some help. So, after you get done asking Natalie how it's done, post back. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2012   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by malloypc View Post
Awesome, thanks for the collection of tips.
I got a Hero 2 for Christmas and need to put it to good use this season.
Anyone have recommendations for mounting on a raft?
I can use the helmet mount periodically, like when running Rainie falls or though Blossom but how to best get another perspective without losing the camera or for more mellow sections when I'm not interested in a helmet?
How does one attach a leash to the housing? I've figured out the little white thingy, but what if the mount breaks?

Thanks,
Jerry
I don't have a GoPro (yet), but I've been using a Kodak Playsport for a couple years (less expensive waterproof HD video camera). I attach mine to a small Ultra-Pod tripod with all the legs folded up, then tuck the tripod legs under a cam strap on my cooler in front of me. I get the strap nice & tight so it holds the tripod snug. I have the camera adjusted at a right angle to the tripod. I use a short stretchy leash hooked to the camera and attached to the cam strap just in case. I adjust the tilt on the tripod to get a good view off the front of my cataraft. I can easily reach forward to turn the camera on, and hit the button to start & stop filming. Works great, and the footage is really nice. GoPro makes a roll bar attachment accessory mount that should clamp onto a raft frame. Then you just have to aim it where you want. But make sure it's someplace easy to reach so you can turn it on & off fast.
I'm in the opposite position. I can't find a decent helmet attachment for my Playsport. I like my "boatcam" action shots, but I'd really like to start getting more video of other people in the rapids just by turning my head, instead of trying to aim the boatcam. Leif is right......too much boat level footage gets old after awhile. The Playsport is heavier/bigger than the GoPro, so mounting it on a helmet is a challenge.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #7

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
I don't have a GoPro (yet), but I've been using a Kodak Playsport for a couple years (less expensive waterproof HD video camera). I attach mine to a small Ultra-Pod tripod with all the legs folded up, then tuck the tripod legs under a cam strap on my cooler in front of me. I get the strap nice & tight so it holds the tripod snug. I have the camera adjusted at a right angle to the tripod. I use a short stretchy leash hooked to the camera and attached to the cam strap just in case. I adjust the tilt on the tripod to get a good view off the front of my cataraft. I can easily reach forward to turn the camera on, and hit the button to start & stop filming. Works great, and the footage is really nice. GoPro makes a roll bar attachment accessory mount that should clamp onto a raft frame. Then you just have to aim it where you want. But make sure it's someplace easy to reach so you can turn it on & off fast.
I'm in the opposite position. I can't find a decent helmet attachment for my Playsport. I like my "boatcam" action shots, but I'd really like to start getting more video of other people in the rapids just by turning my head, instead of trying to aim the boatcam. Leif is right......too much boat level footage gets old after awhile. The Playsport is heavier/bigger than the GoPro, so mounting it on a helmet is a challenge.
KJ
Let's see some footage...

If you don't mind drilling holes in your helmet a quick and easy way to attach a camera is to drill a hole though the top and put a tripod mounting bolt through your helmet then screw it down with a lock nut. Twist the camera on and you are good to go. I loop the camera strap through the helmet strap just in case. You can always do this to an old helmet and use it just for helmet cam shots.

I saw a video were a guy made a boom, similar to Leif's kayak mount, he attached it to the rear of his raft and elevated it higher than his head. The shots were sweet because you had a nice back deck view of the river, plus could watch his oaring technique. Very video game like. i wish I knew how he did it, of course I would hate to flip with my GoPro on a stick bouncing off the river bottom.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #8
doesn't need a fake name

Fort Collins, Colorado
To attach a leash to the gopro, thread something around the little metal bar hinge, in that tiny gap in the center back bottom of the camera. The white rubber plug thing won't help if the whole mount comes unglued.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Ain't got no go pro yet but thanks for sharing the tricks of the trade Leif! Bummed to hear you're laid up but we appreciate your making constructive use of your time. Nice to see how y'all got that footy on the M-Wave for Natalie's promo vid. The ghetto improviser in me loves the skateboard and egg timer - Cody Howard ain't got nothing on you! Uh, well, except maybe a whole bunch of fancy equipment and real expensive cameras and stuff...

Good luck with the healing up - hope you're ready to go by the time runoff starts.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #10

SYOTR, Tennessee
Good stuff!

Could you elaborate on the licking the lens part a little more. My pebble sized brain doesn't get it.
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote