Good weekend float in Idaho? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-24-2010   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Good weekend float in Idaho?

I live in Salt Lake City and am looking for a good weekend float (daily or one to two nighter) in Idaho. Where is a good beginner to intermediate run for my 17' cat where I do not need a permit? Any beta would be greatly appreciated.

-Troy

tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
That's a big boat. We do a trip to the Payette's every year. The main payette and the cabarton run are great intermediate runs. If you want more challenge, the southfork "staircase" run is a blast. Camping is great.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #3
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Swirly canyon of the Payette. Should be able to camp up there and then float Staircase section down to the Main. Staircase is in the class 4 range until it drops down some.

Cabarton is good intro to white water run with a few threes in there and a great finish at Howards.

Main Salmon from North Fork to Corn Creek would be a hoot. 30 to 35 miles. Pretty sure you don't need a permit. A couple of good sized threes in there and some great beaches. Lots of private property but there are going to be some camping options too.

South Fork of the Boise ( as long as its running high like it is) still pretty much class 3. I have done it at about 1800 in my 16 foot Maravia and it was fun but tight in a couple spots. Beautiful canyon too.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010   #4

Summit County, and Idaho
The Payette is by far my favorite in Idaho. I miss living there! (I'm from Blaine County too)
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010   #5

North Fork, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1980
Camping beaches on the North Fork to Corn Creek run are few with competition with day users.

At the current level, beaches are underwater but one emerges near Bear Basin Creek below the confluence of the Middle Fork on the south side. There is also a beach below the Cove Creek Bridge. There are usually car campers there on the weekend since it is on the road side.

A few miles above Panther Creek, there is a rock/sand beach called "Lunch beach" locally since the outfitters time their day floats to arrive there about lunch time. If you can time your arrival after 3 or so in the PM, it is a great camping beach with a swim hole and your on the wild side and after the traffic dies, it is much like downriver. Since this beach gets a lot of use, please follow the wilderness river requirements - use approved fireboxes, and pack it out. The outfitters do a good job of policing their stuff, but day users and evening "parties" trash the place occasionally. My wife and I like to plan a "day" float from Spring Creek to Lunch Beach then take out at Cove Creek or another night at "Bear Basin" creek beach then to Corn Creek.

Another possibility is to go from Deadwater to Spring Creek and camp in the campground, then down to Cove Creek and stay there or at Lunch Beach. You miss some of the downriver rapids though and the confluence with the Middle Fork.

Running real nice now, but a bit high for good beaches. Wait til after the 4th and it will still be Class III with more challenges. Now it is a straight wave train from Pine Creek to Cove Creek where you get rocks and holes later in the year.
eideho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010   #6

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanderson View Post
I live in Salt Lake City and am looking for a good weekend float (daily or one to two nighter) in Idaho. Where is a good beginner to intermediate run for my 17' cat where I do not need a permit? Any beta would be greatly appreciated.

-Troy

Hey Troy,
I'm new to Boise and looking for some rafting. If you'd like someone to boat with on the Payette or Boise, give me call.
Brian
509-413-8256
briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010   #7
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
The day stretch below Stanley is a hoot at this level. You can run Shotgun and the Sunbeam Dam. Then get a couple of threes down below.

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 13296500 SALMON RIVER BL YANKEE FORK NR CLAYTON ID

The closer the level gets to 4 feet the crunchier shotgun and the Dam get. Having over six feet towards the end of June is awesome. High(er) water, warm and sunny is pretty awesome.

Trying to get out tomorrow but ........ lots of work to do.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Thanks very much for all the great advice. I've been climbing for nearly two decades and am really excited to experience rivers. I find the "river" people much more helpful and happier than the climbing scene. Kind of a breath of fresh air, so to speak.

Can I bring my dog on that Carbarton daily stretch? Are there spots where the wife can walk him around a rapid if necessary?

Once again, thanks for helping a rookie/gumbie out.

Troy
Salt Lake City, UT
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote