Good rivers to run near knoxville, TN - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-26-2012   #1

Golden, Colorado
Good rivers to run near knoxville, TN

Looking for some good info on good rivers to run near Knoxville tn around march 10 or so. Looking for some high class 3 to low 5 Something big enough to get a 14 foot raft down. Thanks getting siked for the season

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012   #2

Crossville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1990
The plateau area 1.5 - 2 hours west of Knoxville has some good rivers. Big South Fork of the Cumberland , Obed River , Clear Creek all are raftable with a 14 footer even with an oarframe. Big South Fork is the biggest of the three , Clear Creek is tighter,esp. at low levels but it runs into the Obed and widens out. All three are class III-III+ with a couple class IV wilderness runs through beautiful canyons. I,m sure there are other good runs around Knoxville but these are the ones i'm most familiar with. Hope this helps. PM me if you decide to run any of these , i might be able to go with you or help out with shuttle.
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #3

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
The plateau area 1.5 - 2 hours west of Knoxville has some good rivers. Big South Fork of the Cumberland , Obed River , Clear Creek all are raftable with a 14 footer even with an oarframe. Big South Fork is the biggest of the three , Clear Creek is tighter,esp. at low levels but it runs into the Obed and widens out. All three are class III-III+ with a couple class IV wilderness runs through beautiful canyons. I,m sure there are other good runs around Knoxville but these are the ones i'm most familiar with. Hope this helps. PM me if you decide to run any of these , i might be able to go with you or help out with shuttle.
Great thanks have you ever been on the French broad river.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012   #4

Bugtussle, Kentucky
French Broad Section 9, Barnard to Hot Springs would be fine in a raft. I'd want good flow, at least 2000 cfs. Scenic, mostly class II-III with 2 bigger rapids near the end. Frank Bells is a class IV.
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #5

Bugtussle, Kentucky
Also...the Nolichucky Gorge isn't too far from that section of the FB, its ever more scenic and has more whitewater. You can run it lower than the FB, not sure about a raft below 1000 cfs though. If they are running, both the French Broad Sect. 9 and the Noli Gorge would make for a great weekend.
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #6

North Shore Of Chatty, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2000
Bro!!!!!

Swing on down to Chatty or North Bama. LRC would be great to take a raft down if we got some stout flows. Chatty also has a TON of great Rivers and creeks.

that's why I moved here. Best place in da world for Boofin!

Hit me up if you want to venture south. We'll grab a micro at My Spot< the terminal, and get some stout boofs.

One Love,
Mix Master
Mix_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #7

Golden, Colorado
Thanks for all the info will check out some flow levels