good place to live for kayaking? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-24-2009   #1

Belfast, Northern Ireland
Paddling Since: 2005
good place to live for kayaking?

Hi there. I'm exploring moving to the USA (I'm from N Ireland) to gain experience in the field of wilderness therapy for at-risk youth. Ideally I'd love to live somewhere where I can get some paddling action too! I enjoy river-running and playboating as well as creeking and i've also done some surf kayaking too. Can anyone recommend states or cities to focus my jobsearch?

Thanks for your help!

Debslass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Colorado. and the east coast.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
North Carolina. You can paddle 365 days a year and the distance between the mountains and the ocean is only four hours. The Asheville area has some great creeks, some decent playboating options, and there are tons of paddlers around.
nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009   #4

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
One better, in my opinion.

Pacific Northwest, more rivers than I can count, more wilderness, Portland for instance is 1.5 hours to the Ocean Beaches or about the same to the Cascade Mountains. Or in the Seattle area, you are on the ocean so to speak and close the Olympic Penn. which is pretty amazing wilderness IMHO.

Also Portland is caulk full of transplants so you won't feel like a much of an outsider, unlike some cities (Boston I am talking to you) ----I am a Oregon Native and sometimes I am the outcast

A nice health kayaking community ensures you don't need to paddle alone--- check out PDX kayaker.org for more info.

Plus and Minus, way fewer people than N. Carolina, lots of open space, also fewer jobs etc.

Oh and 365 days a year of paddling weather. Give a look to google WKCC or OKCC as well.

Good luck
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
I'm with Beaver.
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #6

Try looking at Fort Collins Colorado. Voted best place to live money magazine 2006. Also the mountains are five minutes away and the poudre river has all ability levels of waters. With a local kayak shop R.M.A. that have people that actually care about us, they can tell you all about the good rivers in this area.
scottdalton95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
All good suggestions. And this is coming from a rubber pusher, but I do know a bit about wilderness therapy. And Durango, Colorado has a great program. It's called Open Sky Wilderness Therapy. It's a great program. I have a lot of friends who work there and they are all really solid people. Oh yeah, there is pretty phenomenal boating here.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #8

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I think Colorado is quite beautiful, but wouldn't trade it for Portland.

That and I just visited my college buddy this winter in Colo Springs and there isn't anyway I would boat in that ice box.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Don't let C. Springs have any influence on what you think of Colorado. Ever.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The Chaffee County, Colorado - Boys & Girls Club has been looking for help working with local youth for a little while now. We have more 14 thousand foot peaks than anywhere in the lower 48 states and the headwaters of the Arkansas River - offering everything from class V creeking on Lake Ck. to class I-II fishing floats.
There are several other youth camps in the area that work with Wilderness Therapy - most of them are centered around a strong Christian Faith, like Young Life (that may or may not be a good thing for you).
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking