Good camping on class IV and up runs? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-07-2008   #1

Good camping on class IV and up runs?

Any suggestions for what might be a good run for an overnighter south of I-70? Done the Black Canyon, don't think we'll be heading all the way down to Durango. Doesn't have to be particularly long, but something non-roadside with good camping opportunities. Any suggestions around Golden, CB, the Ark, or Roaring Fork drainages? How would Bailey be for a relaxed overnighter?

Curtis_Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Gunny Gorge

The gunny gorge is always a fun overnighter......pretty easy but fun. Its right below the black, but there is about a mile hike in......you could rent mules for like 60 bucks but its easiest to get a few in ya and just make the trip yourself. Lots of camping to(fee and reservations at put in), you could for sure make it a day trip at this level but its nice to spend some time in the gorge. Right at boulder garden is the best camping spot and awesome fishing above boulder garden.
Targos_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targos_2 View Post
The gunny gorge is always a fun overnighter......
Yeah, I thought about that. My friend has done it and wants something a bit more challenging. Any camping on Clear Creek of the Ark? I know it's pretty short, but looks interesting if you put on late in the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008   #4

Silverdale, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
There is camping on Clear Creek Ark, but it's mostly on river left which is usually within sight/hearing range of the road and other camps. Did see a few makeshift camping spots along the third gorge area when I was looking for someone else's missing boat today. I'm not sure about the river right side as I haven't been out of my boat and looked around on that side, but it's possible.
Old 06-08-2008   #5

oh yeah
Bailey. it's solid IV+/V at current levels with three recommended scouts. is that too much? then the ark is great. plenty of camping along the 100 mile length and browns canyon (III+) is wilderness. clear creek of the ark takes an hour to run so camping in the middle isn't too feasible.

dan
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
Bailey. it's solid IV+/V at current levels with three recommended scouts. is that too much? then the ark is great. plenty of camping along the 100 mile length and browns canyon (III+) is wilderness. clear creek of the ark takes an hour to run so camping in the middle isn't too feasible.

dan
Bailey is on the first leg of our trip. I think we may give it a go if we can get another local friend to shuttle us. Might check out Browns Canyon as well. Done other sections of the Ark, but not Browns.
Old 06-08-2008   #7
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targos_2 View Post
The gunny gorge is always a fun overnighter......pretty easy but fun. Its right below the black, but there is about a mile hike in......you could rent mules for like 60 bucks but its easiest to get a few in ya and just make the trip yourself. Lots of camping to(fee and reservations at put in), you could for sure make it a day trip at this level but its nice to spend some time in the gorge. Right at boulder garden is the best camping spot and awesome fishing above boulder garden.
gunny gorge is fun, but its always seeing more and more users....hard to get some isolation in there.

have you looked at a multi-day trip on the ark? self support or car assisted, either way, you can rack up some serious river mileage fast. i knows not all IV and up, but could be fun.

is a multi day possible on the crystal? marble to glenwood or something? theres lots of camping around (at least up until the BRB, below.....meh) but barring the meatgrinder itd be a lot of iI with some IV and a V-.

multiday trips are possible on the taylor/gunnison but its all car camping, no isolation.

dont know what else, your criteria isnt exactly kosher to many results.....
Old 06-08-2008   #8

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Private Property

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis_Elwood View Post
Bailey is on the first leg of our trip. I think we may give it a go if we can get another local friend to shuttle us. Might check out Browns Canyon as well. Done other sections of the Ark, but not Browns.
There is a ton of private property in Bailey so make sure you check a quad to see what's public (if anything). Also, the take-out almost always has some sort of ranger in the summer so they might get edgey if there's a car there overnight. A car at the put-in overnight could initiate S&R too. It's an outside chance but something to consider.

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class iv