golden play park - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-28-2008   #1

Whitefish, Montana
golden play park

Wondering if folks have been down there and if it is running or not?

purpleyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008   #2

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Been down there, not a whole lot going on. Not worth traveling for that's for sure. About the only thing you can do is flat spins.
Old 04-28-2008   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
'gauge' is reading around 15 cfs lower than it is.

last week it was reading 71, but you could JUST throw ends in library, so it was closer to 85-90

certainly not worth traveling too far for right now
i only have a 2 block walk, so then its worth it
b dash rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008   #4

Golden, Colorado
i heard the gauge is screwed up from the new fish habitat that went in near the hwy6 tunnel. anyone know?
Old 04-28-2008   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
confirmed, eddy flower constructed a gauge that sums up the tributaries to Clear Creek.
b dash rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #6

new to playboating -- starting in golden

hey there -- how friendly is the golden play park, folks welcoming of beginners? If you loose your boat do you get a slap on the wrist or encouragement? Is there a way to make the introduction easier on folks running this park all the time, i.e., not get in the way... I've been boating 1 year now and need to spend more time in the park, but hate to step on toes or piss folks off.
jaansdornea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #7

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Overall I think it is very positive, and on most occasions will get some help grabbing gear and a little help. There can always be a jerk here or there, but it is not the norm. Coming down river you do have the right of way, but waiting in eddies until someone is done playing in the feature is good etiquette and appreciated by most.

Spend time getting to know the park and where the eddies are to slow yourself down so you can avoid bombing it straight through and you should be just fine.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #8

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaansdornea View Post
hey there -- how friendly is the golden play park, folks welcoming of beginners? If you loose your boat do you get a slap on the wrist or encouragement? Is there a way to make the introduction easier on folks running this park all the time, i.e., not get in the way... I've been boating 1 year now and need to spend more time in the park, but hate to step on toes or piss folks off.
I started last year and I never had a negitive experience like your talking about. People are overwellmingly friendly, supportive and willing to give good advice. They will generally chase equipment for you as long as you don't do it 10 times. Just introduce yourself to people and ask if you can tag along with them and be honest about your skill level.
Old 04-29-2008   #9

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
The Colorado boating scene is super chill even in Golden.... Hit it up. Just make sure you get your boat out before it hits coors. I hear that is a hassle. Also if you swim at high water you might catch flak too.
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #10

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaansdornea View Post
Hey man, let me know when you are going to paddle it, and I'd be happy to tag along. We can be to n00bs together. I just moved to CO, and have yet to paddle out here. I too have been paddling for about a year now. So we should be on the same level, and that is always nice. I live in boulder, and would love to hit it up when it starts running better.

Tags
ark