going to lake fork area... - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-03-2010   #1

x, x
Paddling Since: x
going to lake fork area...

need beta. looking at lake fork box, gate to red bridge, red bridge to gateview.

the red bridge to gateview looks to be the toughest section. pool drop?

mostly worried about wood and fences, wood seems like it would be in the LF box section. not road side, is it easy II or more? any wood?

solid class III paddlers here, seems like red bridge to gate veiw is road side fun, rest is scenic.

also have two new to boating, thinking gate to red bridge. is the weir a portage or boat chute ? if they do fine here i wanted to do lake fork box, thoughts?

read the books, checked the board.

locals? lay it out for me.

leaving friday night boating sat and sunday levels look to be medium about 800

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010   #2

was just on lake fork canyon (red bridge to gateview) sunday, rafting with an inexperienced group. we put in just above the bridge at the campsite and paddled to the bottom. i think flow was in the 1200 arena... maybe lower, maybe higher. i would say there is one class IV in there for a raft (rattlesnake). for kayaks i would say easy class IV or III+. there is one solid III+ above rattlesnake and one solid III+ at the take out. this stretch is not pool drop and has a classic colorado continuous feel to it from start to finish. beautiful scenery. it only took 1 1/2 hours with one long safety meeting. no portages or obstacles to speak of. if you are in the area i would say its well worth putting on.

good camping at the put in.

rafted a couple laps on the upper east the next day with the same group and it was sweet! what a great run for people with no experience!!
seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #3
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
^ sean, thanks a bunch. that was about as concise as could be put. the big drop before rattlesnake is surprise ledge, and the big drops after rattlesnake are raft ripper/strawberry patch and last chance. i would again emphasize the good camping literally at the put in. other than that just beware the rock is sharp volcanic rock that was blasted into the river by the DRGRR. If youre from anywhere along the front range then you should feel right at home with that though.

now when you say upper east in a raft, you mean like, upper east in a raft, right? that sounds like a whole lot of fun....

bob-

the Box stretch is really easy. it usually has wood but its a slow enough stretch that 99% of the time you will be able to manuever around or get out beforehand. there are no fences in that stretch but there are a couple of lower hanging bridges that become an issue for rafts over 1500 or so. the whitewater is very minimal. beginners or first timers should be on their toes but should be more than fine with some helpful words and a good attitude!

the gate to redbridge is not too friendly, its flat and has fences and private property. if you want to, have it at. otherwise stick with the Canyon (redbridge to gateview) and the Box. wish i wasnt going to denver this weekend or i would join you!

some eddyflower write ups

Lake Fork Canyon
Lake Fork Box
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010   #4

x, x
Paddling Since: x
yeti, was just thinking of you for this area. looks like we are going oposite ways. should be a good time, thanks for the help.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #5
God Amongst Men

yeah ive got a birthday party in parker on sat and then going to spend that night in Co Spgs with the girlfriend and head home via the taylor on sunday. im trying to rally LMyers (HINT HINT i know youre out there) and crew to come down the next weekend (11-12-13) and get some, im thinking there will still be some water left and it will be fun. but next time, we'll get it!
Old 06-04-2010   #6

yeti, i paddled obj sat night with kato and a guy i didn't know. i thought for a split second that may have been you and he was just not telling me (being your local run and all). i was thinking to myself, "man, this guy isn't so bad." as we got back to the campsite i soon came to the realization that i was out of my gourd thinking someone cool enough to rally obj at 9pm at high water could possibly be this yetigonecrazy on the buzz.

then i saw a guy the next morning at the obj campground with wearing spandex, driving a tan minivan, with play boats and road bikes... and i'm thinking, "that's more like it, this guy has yeti written all over him." was that you? i keep thinking i'm going to run into you and i have a picture in my head of what you are like and i was pretty confident that may have been you....

would love to meet you sometime. you do a lot of shit talking about my neck of the woods so you should hit me up while your here so i can show you what its all about. i've got a couple runs in mind at great flows that i would love to show you down....
seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #7
God Amongst Men

a) i was in colorado springs this weekend and b) if you see me at OBJ i will be in dry clothes because im not a rAdIcAl boater like you guys. and no, i dont play boat. i ducky, remember? i thought that had been established.....if you were not aware, then please, let the insults begin! i love a good round of duckyer bashing. and i drive a purple rav 4, so lets throw that on the fire too. but i do hope we can meet up and i can shed some truth on your notions. but im afraid to do so youll have to bring yourself to be seen in some pedestrian class III water. I know, its tough. but we all have to do it sometime. the english language has a word for it, its called "slummin". I will be out of town tomorrow but i am planning on the taylor on sunday so if youre really bored and have nothing better to do one more is always welcome!

and i dont have anything against the front range, i love the front range and the people contained therein, theres just a certain few people who happen to be from the front range that irritate the shit out of me and so thats just what they get tossed right back at them. so dont take offense, ive no problem with front rangers in general, or yourself. youre just too nice and friendly of a guy to diss on!