Going to Gauley Fest - first timer - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-18-2005   #1

Lyons, 80540
Paddling Since: 1997
Going to Gauley Fest - first timer

Hey everyone,

I'm going to Gauley Fest this year (22 Sep - 26 Sep). It's the first time and I'm wondering if I bring boat(s) on plane (flying Continental). Or just rent some digs.. My fiance has a friend that owns a rafting co and getting boats would not be a prob. Is Gauley a play run? I've heard different opinions about the run.. Not sure what to bring / rent. I own a LL Huck and LL Space Cadet.

Anyway, any advice from seasoned Gauley attendees would be appreciated. I'm there for 4 days and want to make the most of it.

My girl don't boat (yet) so if anyone will be there and want to session w/ me I'll be game.

Cheers.

-Jarrod

Juan E Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2005   #2

Denver, Colorado
You'll need to find a sucker to haul your boat out for you while you fly. Just put up a post and offer $100 round trip. They'll be stoked to get some gas money and realize how shitty of a deal they got when they pull into Summerville after 27 hours of driving through the midwest hell, eating nothing but Arby's, Burger King, and misc fried crap.

And if you pack your drybag beforehand, this will also keep you from having to swallow condoms full of drugs before getting on a plane or buying shit from some hillbilly in WV.

-d
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #3

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Yeah, but those hillbillies have some decent stuff... Well from what I hear anyways, not like I have first knowledge.

Gauley is the BEST. Amazing BIG water playboating and if you get lucky.. there will be a hurricane rolling up the coast of the SE dumping 10 inches an hour like last year.

Tons of Colorado boaters make it out there each year. I usually drive, but think I am going to fly this year.

Mutate.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2005   #4

PLAY BOAT. you won't be happy with a creeker. The Gauly is no dout a playboat run!!
pcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #5

yeah, they grow the goods, but ship it out and sell the crap

I'd say if you've got the hookup, borrow one, either other way will cost you and you've gotta deal with all the hassle and worry! what company is your friend's?

my personal upper limit in a playboat being IV+, I would want a barge, but the gauley was my first ever whitewater trip (on a com raft) and I have yet oto experience anything like it... yet.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #6

Denver, Colorado
Good call, I totaly agree about the playboat on the Gauley. But if they get one of those hurricanes like Isabel in '03, you'll want a creeker*. If the creeks are running, skip the Gauley.

-d

*disclaimer: I'm a shitty playboater.
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #7

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
One more for the playboat. Problem with taking a creeker is that if the rain stops the creeks could stop too and then you get to run an uber-classic play run in your creeker. Endos...oooooh! If the rain has been heavy and the forecast looks solid, it's sure worth a shot though.

The Upper at 5K is even more fun than at standard release, plus, the Meadow was probably adding 1200 or more. Hard to go wrong when it's raining in WV. We found the river virtually empty in '03 - everyone either lived out east and had brought a creeker or else they put on before the release was over and the water was turned back up. It was a great level and also the sight of yours truly getting munched in Tumblehome, getting out the hole, squirted in all that funny water, thinking I may have to run the Mail Slot with out beta or knowing what hole lay on the other side....only to look over my shoulder and see a raft pinned across it. Safe to say that was the most aggressive ferry I've ever done.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #8

Lyons, 80540
Paddling Since: 1997
Thanks for all the info. I have a friend that is connected with Beauty Mtn Sports so I'm going to call and try to get set up with them for playboat. Just bring gear on plane. Haven't done much east coast paddling.. psyched.

Cheers
Jarrod
Juan E Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #9

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Take the creek boat. The last I heard access was not going to be allowed through private land for the normal upper takeout. That means the run will have to include the lower Gualey (over 26 miles total for the two). AW is working on getting acccess back but nothing confirmed last I heard. The land owner was extremely generous over the past years but finally got frustrated with all the kayakers disrespecting his land.
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #10

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Ugh, I forgot about that. The ending couple miles of flatwater on the Lower are bad enough putting in above Koontz, whatever that is called...Bucklick I think. It would reeeeaalllly suck after 24 miles. But I already have plane tickets. Anybody know when The Animal is this year? LOL I wonder if AW has considered purchasing an easement.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote