Going big this summer - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-20-2015   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Going big this summer

Hi, I want to know if I might be ready to take the next step as a kayaker and go big this summer. My friends and I all kayak on Front Range creeks and rivers, I have a solid roll on my right, my left is a work in progress, but I've heard it is more important to have one solid side than 50-50 on both.
We boat at least once a week until summer, then boat at least three days a week. I started last year, and finished with Brown's in late July.
I want to start running bigger stuff, figure it is time. Was maybe thinking of doing the Royal Gorge this weekend, then the Numbers next weekend. Hopefully by May, I will be ready for Gore.
I would like to have some Class V down before my friends and I head to Yule Creek, and OBJ in June.
Any advice would be great, and I am all ears to hear if you think my plan is to ambitious.
Thanks.
GO BIG

Gobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011

Almost everything is class III when you make your lines right? Just don't eff up and you're fine....
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015   #4

Sounds too optimistic to me. To recap, you finished last season doing a low water brown's run, now you want to do a low water numbers and royal gorge run, and follow that up with class V in June?
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015   #5

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy View Post
Sounds too optimistic to me. To recap, you finished last season doing a low water brown's run, now you want to do a low water numbers and royal gorge run, and follow that up with class V in June?
It's happened before and resulted in this.

Old 03-20-2015   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy View Post
I was thinking about running some Class V in May! is that to quick. I want to be ready for YULE!!

That swim sucked! He should have started charging for the banks immediately and left his kayak for his friend, who was clearly a better yaker than him to get it to shore or pin it somehow for him. Would have saved him three minutes of a bitching beat down.

Thanks for the input though. I have a roll class tomorrow at the rec center. Hope I get my left side down, and maybe even a hand roll or two. Thanks.

GO BIG!
Gobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015   #7

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Dude by no means am I a Class V boater, I'm a III+ with V+ goals. But OBJ and Yule are really gnarly and from the videos I've seen aren't just V, close to V+ in gradient and consequence.

Would you be able to rescue your buds or remain calm if this was you?

Or this?

I could be totally wrong about my perspective of solid class V boating but from where I see it going to OBJ and Yule in your first season of V is kind of a bad idea, unless you boat every day on high water IV's and style everything in a playboat then hit the IV/V's and style everything... That's my general impression of readiness for the next class.

I want to run class V as soon as I can (I want to hit a IV/V- run by the end of summer and before I go back to school.
jjeco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015   #8
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
sounds like a troll to me.....
Old 03-21-2015   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm sure another beginner will be glad to buy your gear from you once you get destroyed and quit. This sport is a progression of knowledge and skill, and you don't gain those in sufficient quantity in one season to safely run the creeks you have mentioned. Have people done it? Sure, but every paddler I've known that pushed their progression that quickly no longer boats...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015   #10
swimming

Colorado, Colorado
so gullable
BeaterBoater is offline   Reply With Quote