Goin to jail for kayaking - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-02-2009   #1

Goin to jail for kayaking

I just read that someone in alaska is being prosecuted for kayaking on Ship Creek. They have brought federal trespass charges against him. Allowing them to shut down river access to the public is definitely a bad precedent in AK, but it might have ramifications here in CO where access in some areas is unclear. If you agree sign the petition.

info here
The Roaming Dials

petition here
Petition for Ship Creek Recreation Access : Life More Natural

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009   #2

Golden, Colorado
I used to play in and along Ship Creek when I was a kid and my dad was in the army up there. I also have been detained by the police at Ship Creek.

My buddy and I always had our fishing poles and our BB guns for our Ship Creek missions.

One day we climbed the fence into the fish hatchery that is next to the creek and started hooking into some genuinely giant salmon who would bite a bare hook. We were salmon fishing in swimming pools. It was awesome.

The military police picked us up, put our bikes in the trunk, and drove us home. That is not a good thing for an army brat... to be dropped off by the MPs in front of the house on base.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #3
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
That's too bad that Ship Creek is technically in a training area, but the largest portion of the run across Ft Rich is down the middle of Moose Run golf course. I remember that there is a seldom used land navigation course in that training area, but no small arms ranges.

As long as you took out before the Glen Highway I don't know why they (the Army) would care. I bet that if they were approached by a whitewater club or private boater type club you could reach an accommodation.

As far as the reservoir at the end of Arctic Valley Road if I remember right there's a pipeline up there that carries a large part of the municipal drinking water for Ft Rich and Anchorage. I don't think you'll see that dam ever come down.

Good luck

One technique might be to teach some MPs to boat.
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009   #4

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Dont eff with an MP

It is possible to get a permit to boat through Ft. Rich from the front gate. You have to do the same thing for the Eagle River which flows through the post. Ship Creek may be difficult to obtain permission on, We pulled a dead kayaker out of a strainer in '05 (I was a Ft. Rich Firefighter.) That was all they needed to close access for good. Remeber, MPs are just like cops, with worse attitudes, and bigger guns.
AKATief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #5
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKATief View Post
Remeber, MPs are just like cops, with worse attitudes, and bigger guns.
I thought it was "You can't spell whimp without the MP"?

Tags
kayaking