Glenwood 5/24 wknd - couple of questions? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-22-2008   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Glenwood 5/24 wknd - couple of questions?

First time heading out to Glenwood this season, this Sat 5/24 or Sun 5/25. Planning to run Carbondale to So Canyon or Tibbets - park seems short for water this fast....

This'll be my first time navigating the kayaker's park (I'm a rafter...). Someone told me that the raft sneak is far right, but the picture I'm looking at here (just posted) sure looks like the run on the left for rafts? Is this just a function of the flush right now?

Also, anyone been down So Canyon recently? I did it at about 18K some years ago; channel wide and easy to get left to miss the bridge pier (and sadly, the wave train) as I recall it, but it's been years. Am I remembering it right at this flow?

Thanks!

Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008   #2
GCK

Yeah the main passage around the WWP is river right (all levels) but at this high water river left is good also. South Canyon Bridge is really cookin' and that bridge peir bottom right could be incredibly dangerous for an offline boater. Start left and pull hard (might be worth a quick pre-run scout). There is another bridge (railroad bridge) a few miles downstream of South Canyon that could also be dangerous at these levels if you decide to go down to Tibbet's.
GCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Thanks, GCK!

Now just hoping the weather improves a bit....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008   #4

Salida, Colorado
Dinosaur rapid

Just above Tibbets where the dinosaur fossil is preserved in a huge concrete monolith is a big rock with pourover that can have a lethal reversal at high levels. Plenty of room to the right.
Old 05-23-2008   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by whip View Post
Just above Tibbets where the dinosaur fossil is preserved in a huge concrete monolith is a big rock with pourover that can have a lethal reversal at high levels. Plenty of room to the right.
Indeed - we drove by it and I struggled to remember the last time I saw that rock so completely submerged.

Right's the typical run, although left becomes an option at flows like this as well.