Glennwood Springs rapid photos & Video - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-01-2008   #1

Mountain Nomad, All Over
Paddling Since: 1970
Glennwood Springs rapid photos & Video

Hi everyone. I spent an enjoyable afternoon watching the action in Glenwood Springs on Saturday May 31st.

If you were paddling or surfing I've posted some photos here: Boofing on the Colorado River in Glennwood Springs, Colorado

and videos here: 14 Kayakers, 4 Surfers, and 1 Raft

I don't know who anyone is so there aren't any names. If you know who's who let me know and I can give them credit.

Thanks
Philip
PhilipRobert.com

PhilipRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008   #2

BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
PFD

How come if your on a surfboard you don't have to wear a PFD? Just curious.
EvanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #3
cma

Boulder
Quicktime sucks.. Sorry can't see the videos
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008   #4

Grand Dysfunction, West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Great Vids and Pics

Thanks for visiting CO and getting such good footage. Should the surfers wear pfd's for their protection? I would recommend it. I'm not a surfer dude and don't know what 'they' do. Is it normal for them not to?
raft3plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The main complaint that I have heard with wearing a PFD while surfing is that it hangs up on the board when you try to stand up. Their justification for not having one on is that they are normally tethered to their board, and that it offers all flotation they need. Not sure if they have put one of those "PFD required" signs up close to the wave, but until they do, I think its up to people to make their own decisions on the matter.

Looking at most of the pictures on the 2imagine site (Corran Addison's blog and river surfboard site), I would say about 1/4 of the people who surf the Lachines in Montreal wear a PFD, and its a much worse swim after those waves then you see on the Colorado. Sounds like it can afford some scary downtime, but as yet no major injury from it there.

I personally would stress a helmet before a PFD in this case. Alot more chance of falling and knocking yourself out then not having enough flotation at this wave. Takes one weird wipeout and a knock on the board and you are an unhappy and unconscious swimmer. Lets just hope that it stops here and doesn't get to point of having a couple of construction workers in Carhartts and steel toed boots jumping in to body surf like happened at South Canyon a couple years ago (one guy drowned and the other barely made it to shore).

JH

p.s. Boofing a wave ?
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #6

What's up with your site- I can't get on to it.
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #7
Home Team

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Cranking

Thanks for the post, I went down this weekend but couldnt find anyone to let me use there surfboard. Heading down after work tonight and hoping for the best. If anyone knows Mark the guy in Glenwood Shaping boards for the River please let me know as I am eager to take some turns again..
media310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #8

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hilarious!

That video of the rafters is awesome. Giving it the ole Glenwood Canyon push!
Shotgun Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote