Gila Wilderness Run - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-26-2010   #1

Seattle, Washington
Gila Wilderness Run

Looking for some logistical beta on this run if anyone can help:

Any leads on shuttle services?

I also need some flow beta. Various sources are in conflict and I'm not making headway dialing boatable flows. I'm inclined to use the Gila @ Gila gauge. Can anyone indicate a rough minimum and medium flow on the Gila @ Gila gauge?

I'd love any info on ruins or wortwhile side hikes if any one wants to share too.

Gracias!!

-b

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010   #2

Taos, New Mexico
I believe the gage is USGS 09430500 GILA RIVER NEAR GILA, NM. Some more info here.
h20shed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #3

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I found a website from a guy who has run it a bunch. I think there's a shuttle link, and some flow info as well.
PaddleOn Utility Page
markinsteamboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010   #4

Sammamish, Washington
Paddling Since: 1987
More Gila questions - flow

Right now, the Gila @ Gila is around 300, but the gauge at Redrock is around 700. Is there really that many tribs between those gauges?

Beta on side hikes would be great...and if there is camping at the access points for he side canyons, evern better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
Looking for some logistical beta on this run if anyone can help:

Any leads on shuttle services?

I also need some flow beta. Various sources are in conflict and I'm not making headway dialing boatable flows. I'm inclined to use the Gila @ Gila gauge. Can anyone indicate a rough minimum and medium flow on the Gila @ Gila gauge?

I'd love any info on ruins or wortwhile side hikes if any one wants to share too.

Gracias!!

-b
Nborelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I think we ran it at 900 at the put in...minimal whitewater maybe a couple 3-'s....total solitude.. middle of nowhere feel... saw one dude in three days, walking buck naked in the wilderness... cool transition from mountains to desert....side hike up Turkey creek ,supposed to be hot spgs....ruins above put in,maybe some along run.....went in late March,snowed on us one night,not warm ' cause it is so far south...fairly high altitude...mark take out,we almost froze trying to find car at dusk
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #6

Taos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1986
I have run this section a couple of times all in rafts. I would say that 200 cfs for a small raft (12ft or less) is ok and even lower for duckies and yaks. There is camping at the put-in and the gauge is the Gila gauge which is below the take-out. Can't help with shuttle info. Try and contact a local business in Gila Or Cliff to see if anyone would be interested in running a shuttle or know of anyone who would.
Brian VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #7

Still looking for someone to meet up with for an AZ/NM trip, with the Gila options being high on the list. Is anyone going this coming weekend (3/5-3/7)? I posted more details in the trip planner thread. Gauges look good.
Old 03-02-2010   #8

el paso, Texas
Paddling Since: 1979
Salpillo Creek about 12 miles below the put in makes quite a contribution to the flow.

A bunch of people in el paso are looking at doing the Gila in the next couple of weeks. Just not sure when. I'm sort of new to it here so I only know a couple of them.
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #9

Seattle, Washington
Can anyone comment on the middle box at 3000? or recommend any good runs above the ef/wf confluence? anything on the mf near the other ruins?

weighing where to look for water. thanks!
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #10

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
There's a small reservoir between the Gila and Redrock gauges that pumps water back into the river. Of course, it gets its water from there as well, but they could possibly be pumping it back into the river at a faster rate that it's being removed. Usually there's a small difference between gauge levels, but this year it seems to be much bigger. Sapillo Ck runs into it above the Gila gauge, so it wouldn't explain the differerence. However, Mogollon Creek probably adds a lot and it should be between these gauges.
stuntmansteve is offline   Reply With Quote