Getting a kayak/gear down to phantom ranch - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-07-2008   #1

Getting a kayak/gear down to phantom ranch

I got invited on a GC trip in March and can only make the second part of the trip. I have never hiked in to phantom ranch and was curious about a few things:
1. Has anyone ever hiked in their gear and yak in to Phantom?
2. What is the hike like if I have all that gear? Is it realistic? How long would it take?
3. Are there companies that will get my gear and kayak down there? Raft? Mule? If so which ones and how much do they charge?
4. Any suggestions beside the obvious (which I can't do) of running the whole ditch?

Any knowledge on this would definitely help me out.

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008   #2

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Send your gear on down ahead with the rest of the trip. They are planning on carrying your gear anyway, only extra burden is strapping a kayak on a raft (& paddle). Shouldn't be too difficult.

Next idea is to bring your gear and a REALLY LONG ROPE to the Rim
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #3

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Send it with them. Bring good shoes and lace the instep well. It's not a bad hike at all, but don't let poor foot care there wreck your time once you get to the river.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008   #4

Problem is they are pretty loaded down. Not sure if anyone will want to take the kayak. I'm pretty sure they would take my gear and paddle, but I think I need to get my yak down to the river on my own. Anyone out there hiked your boat in? Or pay someone to get it done?
Old 09-08-2008   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
There were some discussions on the GCPBA yahoo group a while back about someone hiking their yak out. I think you can send some stuff down on mules, but not sure about a yak. Check out that group, you might get some good ideas. there's also the RRFW yahoo group too.

Another thought - maybe a commercial trip would take your boat and leave it at Phantom on the given day, or day before? Not sure how they could secure it, if they could lock it up to the water station, or a tree at the boat beach.

It's a big hike, I've done it backpacking. Something like 10 miles and 4000 vertical feet. Get as much down there NOT on your body as possible.
Old 09-08-2008   #6

I hiked in with a squirt boat about 10 years ago from the south rim. It took all day, and was a bit sketchy having the kayak sticking up above your head on the cliff sections. But all in all not too bad. Nobody in the group wanted to deal with hauling my gear on the boats. Prolly about 6 hours of hiking. Have fun, it was well worth the hike in with the boat.
HelenDamnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
There were some discussions on the GCPBA yahoo group a while back about someone hiking their yak out. I think you can send some stuff down on mules, but not sure about a yak. Check out that group, you might get some good ideas. there's also the RRFW yahoo group too.

Another thought - maybe a commercial trip would take your boat and leave it at Phantom on the given day, or day before? Not sure how they could secure it, if they could lock it up to the water station, or a tree at the boat beach.

It's a big hike, I've done it backpacking. Something like 10 miles and 4000 vertical feet. Get as much down there NOT on your body as possible.
It is a pretty demanding hike. Don't think I'd want to do it with a kayak strapped on my back. I rather doubt you could get the mule folks to strap on a yak... but the idea of paying a commercial trip to drop it off strikes me as the most viable route.
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #8

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
I am a mule, and I wouldn't want to do it. I can be pretty stubborn about something like this too. Sure footed or not, that is a lot of awkward bulk sloppin around everywhich way on my back. Oh, and I am afraid of heights to begin with... better tie a few bed sheets together
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName View Post
I am a mule, and I wouldn't want to do it. I can be pretty stubborn about something like this too. Sure footed or not, that is a lot of awkward bulk sloppin around everywhich way on my back. Oh, and I am afraid of heights to begin with... better tie a few bed sheets together
A mule that types. Very cool! Now, if you would stop crapping all over the Bright Angel Trail, you might be qualified to be the Vice President of the United States! On second thought, being full of mule crap is a qualification for being the VP...
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #10
bth

i did the hike last year and maet the rest of my crew at phantom. i carried a very small backpack and a peli case with camera gear in it, and absolutely wouldnt have wanted to carry more.

something to seriously consider...if the rest of your crew isnt willing to strap a kayak to their raft rather than having you lug in down 4000 vertical feet from the canyon rim, is this REALLY a group you want to go spend however many days in the canyon with??
bth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking