isn't it about time?

double-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010   #2

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Hi Mike and Henry,

It's funny that I would see your two posts today. Last night we were at the Longmont pool with the Lyons town kids kayaking club.

There were about 16 kids from ages 7 to 15 all having a blast. Jason is awesome as their coach. Pretty serious stuff they are working on but very light mood with lots of play.

Our daughter Teagan is eleven, on her second year with the club and very enthusiastic. She is especially excited that there are several other girls.

There will be indoor sessions on Friday evenings from 7 to 9. They will move to running water soon at the O hole, Meadow park, Black Bear hole and the Apple Valley run all in and around Lyons.

Amy and I could not agree more that kayaking is a sport best introduced at a young age. Especially with the little Jackson boats: Fun 1 and 1.5, Shooting star and Sidekick that actually fit them well.

For anyone else that has a child and would love to have them on the river safely and responsibly give Jason a call at 303-810-4299 or check out the Lyons web page for more details.

They are growing a strong family support group up there. All the other parents are just like us, they love rivers and want to play with their kids (not just drive them to the soccer game). After all, parents are kids too!

Trebor
Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #3

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
we want more kids in the sport! Henry is on a mission to recruit at least 2 new kids a month here in Texas. It's a hard sell down here as most parents think it's too dangerous. The odd thing is that they get their kids in Pee Wee football and think it's safer, even though one kid we know has had 7 concussions from it.
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010   #4

Longmont, Colorado
You are right Mike, not only is football more dangerous but even soccer is now known to cause concussions due to heading the ball. Kayaking is not dangerous for most participants.

People seem to think that all kayaking is like running waterfalls. We just got back from a great spring break trip with 3 kids on the Moab daily run. No danger, lots of fun. Can you guys get a town down there to sponser a learning group like Lyons?

What rivers are you two doing anyway? I know Henry is very good but what about beginner level run for the other kids and beginner parents? I think that most of our kids are second generation river rats, many of them grew up in canoes and rafts when they were still in diapers.

My bet is that Texas doesn't have too many of those families but I do have one very good friend from Dallas who rafts ( of course he started here in Colorado first)

Tommorrow is going to be 70 degrees and Union boat chutes is running about 300cfs so I am going to take the wife and kid out for a little play. See you on the river.

Trebor
Old 04-17-2010   #5

We have the Dallas Downriver Club, North Texas River Runners, then Henry's racing team, Red River Racing in San Marcos. We actually have great rivers with real whitewater down here! MOst of them are perfect for kids to learn on. The playpark in San Marcos has three drops and is always 72 degrees year round. It is a spring driven river that comes out of the ground a mile or so upstream. We also have Arkansas nearby which has some of the best creeking in the USA period. Unfortunately, most all of it is rain driven.

Henry said to tell you he's jealous. He loves Union Chutes.
Old 04-17-2010   #6

Longmont, Colorado
So don't those boaters have children? It doesn't seem likely that non boating football player type parents will suddenly switch to boating for their kids.

On another note, when are you two boys going to participate in the Texas Water Safari? Now that is extreme.

Trebor
Old 04-18-2010   #7

I don't know about doing the Texas Water Safari, that is one long endurance event. It's like doing a full marathon everyday for a month. I have total respect for those who do it. I think someone told me it involves hundreds of miles of paddling. Now, that is sick!

DDRC and NTRR are kind of more adult oriented, like CW, which...no disrespect intended has never really been about kids in boats.

Now one thing that is happening down here is the City of Dallas is fast-tracking the the whitewater features on the Trinity (I know, say what you will about the Trinity, the same has been said about the Platte in Denver). I think that combined with a secondary set of features they are slating for 2014 completion above the two wave feature going in now and the 2020 bid for the Summer Olympics, we'll be poised to have much more awareness here of the paddle sports.

There are several new whitewater clubs starting up in the high school level at various schools here in the Metroplex and there is serious interest.

The Chesapeke Boathouse facility in Oklahoma City is expanding their facilities in what is alreadsy a stellar sprint paddling program and training site. They are planning and building a whitewater facility that will be sweeter than the one in Charlotte, NC.

Getting parents to bring their kids down to paddle is a mean trick sometimes, but once the kids try it, they totally get it and get into it.

The Olympics bid by Dallas will be interesting. While the rest of the country suffers job-wise and financially, Texas really isn't hurting at all. And you wonder why GW retired here? There is a ton of money here. If Dallas succeeds in their bid, a new Olympic level multi-channel course will be built here. Which is going to suck, because we're moving back to Durango next year.

Tags
kayaking