Get Yer' Colorado Search and Rescue Card! - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-03-2009   #1

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Get Yer' Colorado Search and Rescue Card!

The Vallecito rescue incident convinced us to put out a reminder to get a Colo Search and Rescue card. They're $3.00/year or $12.00 for 5 years.

This is a must for the river, plus the mountain bikers, backcountry skiers, fly-fisherman, and for hiking/camping.

It wouldn't take much in the wilderness to create a hairy situation, and a rescue without the card is really expensive.

Here's the link - get one!
https://dola.colorado.gov/corsar_order/order

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009   #2
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Amen. It convinced me to finally get one. 12$ for 5 years is nothing. I've been hauled off a mountain before and couldnt have done it without help. I'll spare the details...and spare the padding of my ego.

Has anyone used the card before or know of someone who has? I take it I dont have to be carrying it on me at all times for it to be applied.
Old 06-03-2009   #3

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Oh Flowtorch, you can't thorw that put there and not elaborate! Please do tell...
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009   #4

Just so ya know, the COSAR card is not insurance. I've been told by SAR members that they consider it a courtesy. You are basically funding a pool of money that individual SAR groups can apply to receive. It is still a great idea and you should get one.

Quote:
Why Buy a CORSAR Card?
Colorado residents and visitors are well served by dedicated volunteer search and rescue teams, but mission costs are often in the thousands of dollars. By purchasing a CORSAR card you are contributing to the Search and Rescue Fund, which will reimburse these teams for costs incurred in your search and rescue. Funds remaining at the end of the year are used to help pay for training and equipment for these teams. Anyone with a current hunting/fishing license, or boat, snowmobile, ATV registration is already covered by the fund.
The CORSAR Card Is Not Insurance
The card is not insurance and does not reimburse individuals nor does it pay for medical transport. Medical transport includes helicopter flights or ground ambulance. If aircraft are used as a search vehicle, those costs are reimbursed by the fund. If the aircraft becomes a medical transport due to a medical emergency, the medical portion of the transport is not covered.

Does anyone have a info an a rescue where the patient/ victim/ person has been charged? I was under the impression that this is very rare in Colorado.
Jamie D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #5
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
...Just know that it was undoubtedly sick. I'm solid sick. Everyone I ski with is sick. It was a miracle an accident could happen to me cause I'm just that SICK. I poo the sickness.

Nah, I was just ridin some Wyo mandatory sickcliff and wondered into a sick tree. Luckily only ended up with 3 broken ribs. But i could hardly breathe and couldnt walk on my own...and I mean couldn't. Woulda froze my arse off for sure If i hadn't been hauled out.
Old 06-03-2009   #6

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
i've used it

I got lost one time on Bridge Street in Vail and had to call Search and Rescue. Wasn't pretty. They even helped me find my keys.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #7

Golden, Colorado
Thanks for the link. That was easy. Just got mine online with a credit card. $12 is worth it. I got an ambulance ride from kayaking already. $12 wouldn't even cover the tip.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
So the card is basically the same as the sticker on your car that says "I support the Highway Patrol"? It's a way to prevent unwanted expenses at the critical moment. Interesting. It's a good way to get people to give money, but most people probably buy it because they think it will save them money, not the rescue agencies in general. Either way, I'm going to get one.

I really like the SPOT device and for an extra $7 a year it comes with $100,000 in real deal rescue insurance. I used the SPOT for 800 miles and it worked the entire way!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Someone told me that if you have a season pass to Colorado state parks that it actually covers you if you need a rescue on the river. Anyone else hear that or have proof?
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #10

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Do you know of other states that issue a similar card? Washington?