FYI Big Thompson fans - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-23-2011   #11

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Actually Rock Creek is kinda running. The pool?? pssshhh I need some action!

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011   #12

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
For us wookiees paddling pongos, which section exactly is running? My pongo boof will make your mother cry.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011   #13
doesn't need a fake name

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Pizzle, are you asking about the big t? Gannon's whining about his poor life choices has gotten this thread all off track.

I don't know much about the lower section, but I think that you need about 500 cfs or more. You put in below Cannon shot and paddle to wherever you feel like. There is like a dam or something... and two or three rapids... maybe a bridge? A bridge and a rapid together? Sort of fuzzy, really. I remember it being sketchy because of a lack of eddies. People seem to like it, though.

The upper section (the Gnar) runs from about 120 on up. 250 is a very nice flow, although still manky. By the time it gets up to about 300 and above, it is a lot less manky, but it is also a lot more serious. Seriousness increases with flow. I think I tap out at about 450-500. I have no idea how high it's been run. Scout extensively.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011   #14

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Leif, joking about the Pongos. Just hoping to scrape down something closer to home. If only there was a a high speed bullet train from the front range to Gore.
These South East boys got me all prematurely excited about some play park feature in Mississippi. I guess I will just have to wait a little longer for Some Big T mank.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011   #15

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Hey Leif,

I'm up for the T when it goes. I'd love to finally fire up the gnar, would you show me the lines?

For sure will be up there on the 6th and any weekends or Fridays after that.

Josh
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #16

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
I'm not whining! I get all summer off (to come back to CO) and warm paddling WHEN it rains here during the off season in CO. I've ran the main section below the gnar at 200 and didn't touch a rock to all you paddle snobs who think it needs 3-500cfs.
Old 10-24-2011   #17

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gannon_w View Post
I'm not whining! I get all summer off (to come back to CO) and warm paddling WHEN it rains here during the off season in CO. I've ran the main section below the gnar at 200 and didn't touch a rock to all you paddle snobs who think it needs 3-500cfs.
I'm calling BS on this, I want to see this levitating paddling that somehow allows you to "not touch a rock" when everyone else hits rocks at double that flow.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #18
Likes it wet.

Seattle, Washington
I think I'm up there with the best of them when it comes to making the best out of elf flows, but I'll have to agree with stoutmaster Tom on this one. Wait for more than 400 for that lower stuff... and the gnar ... well... you should just know when you're ready it.
LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #19

You buncha snobs! I bet you're all the same people who won't do steven's down below 3ft or the gnarrows below 2 ft! You just wait. One day all the water will be controlled by some giant corporation (anybody remember Sloarbabies?) or gone...What do you think it just falls outta the sky??

I'm deciding on if I should fly United for $250 roundtrip to DEN to come get some! I've never flew with a kayak and had to claim it is a handicap surfboard

What's up Mike!
Old 10-24-2011   #20
Likes it wet.

Seattle, Washington
doing well Gannon! I'm going to miss the Big T myself unless it starts running by November 3, but flying back to DC next weekend to see family and boat The Falls... then a big move to Seattle. The PACNW season is just cranking up! See you all next season for a week or two!
LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big thompson