full face helmet question - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-09-2007   #1
gh

pnw, Colorado
full face helmet question

Seen several of the prototypes for full face helmets here and I have a question. Why does the protection have to jut out so far? I havent tried one and have nothing to base it on but not sure I comfy with something sticking out that far and being attached to my head.

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
helmets

i agree

bailey two years ago i remember being in while somebody happened to swim after deer creek and i guess there skirt got caught on rock and was held under. he had to cut him self out of that situation.

but back to helmet what if you get that stuck on rock sometime when your creeking slim chances but what if it happened. lets say back deck roll going down yule creek and that edge happens to snag? does your whole head just pop off or does the helmets have a pulling breaking point?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #3

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
does your whole head just pop off or does the helmets have a pulling breaking point?
Probably, but the question is is that breaking point greater than the breaking point of your neck
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007   #4

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
I've had a full face helmet for alot of years. What is more likely, a blow to the face knocking you out, or causing serious damage, or a entrapment from the mask? See prior threads on this.

Avest or paddling jacket could cause an entrapment, but you never here the arguement there. I think the pluses far outweigh the negatives.
Old 08-09-2007   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I have the FNA fullface, and it looks like the designs of the sweet, and the new WRSI and shred ready are pretty similar. It looks like it juts out a lot, but it really doesn't. I have maybe two inches from my mouth to my chin bar.

If the chinbar is jutting out less, you probably run into several problems... First, the helmet has to go on over your head. The largest diameter of your head is bigger than the diameter at chin level. When putting my helmet on I can feel the chin bar pretty close to my head. Also, if its too close to the mouth, spitting, eating, talking and drinking get compromised. As it is, I can tilt the helmet and spit without blasting myself, but any closer and you are spitting in your chin bar. With the current set up I have just enough room to get a squirt water bottle to my mouth or to stuff a granola bar into there without removing the helmet. Any closer and its not possible.

As for the practiality of snagging the chin bar, I think its a risk vs. reward. If you are upside down on the back deck and you hit a rock that it will snag on, I'd venture to say that the rock would tear the shit out of your face without the helmet. I'd rather have the helmet keep my teeth, mouth and jaw in one piece and take the very low risk of snagging. With that said, I have been upside down on the back deck in very shallow water getting raked over rocks on bear creek. The helmet paid for itself for that single use, and the scratches on the chinbar are a testament to the bloody beatdown that I avoided. I consider the snagging potential of PFD straps, biners, skirt loops etc to be more of a potential risk than the full face helmet, and those are very low potential snags to start with.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
face mask

im sticking with the elbow pads and shaggy.
just use them elbow pads as your face mask
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
deaf and half blind

How does it effect peripheral vision and hearing? Even those cold water skull caps make it hard to hear,anything that messes with the senses is a major distraction,imo,I LIKE TO HEAR AND SEE WELL.Sometimes I feel like I'm in 'the cone of silence'' from 'Get Smart' when I am trying to talk to a bro on the river'what,huh' there aren't hand signals for everything especially bullshitting.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #8
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Aside from a bit of extra noise from the inside of the helmet, I've noticed no hard time hearing in my fna & I didn't get ear holes like some guys have. I also haven't noticed a difference in periphrial (sp?) vision in mine.

As far as the distance from the face, I'll keep it away from my chin thanks, the last thing I want is to get hit in the face by my helmet when I take a hit from the paddle or a rock, the idea is for it to stay away.

Also, you're almost as likely to catch the back or side edges of your helmet, anything that's not smooth against you is a "potential" hazard, but I'd rather have my teeth at the end of the day.
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #9

Yrisarri, New Mexico
Just got a sweet

It's hard to put glasses on and therefore takes time to put on or remove the helmet.

The worst part so far for me is that the airflow around my glasses is reduced and my glasses fog up much worse than wearing an open helmet.

I'm going to put up with that though because I want my face and teeth intact!
NN5K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #10
gh

pnw, Colorado
I just dont see that. I sticks out way more in front than the back so I dont see my helmet catching anywhere but the front of those helmets. Played most of the impact sports that require helmets and take hockey for example. The mask rests against the chin in a padded cup but doesnt stick out.