FREEZE BEERS - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-14-2008   #1

Flg, Az
Paddling Since: 1984
FREEZE BEERS

SO THE OTHER DAY I WAS ON THE BUZZ AND I READ THAT YOU COULD FREEZE CAN BUD'S SOLID SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DRAG THEM AND DRINK WARM-ISH RIVER BEER?
MY QUESTION IS DOES IT ONLY WORK WITH CAN BUD'S OR ANY CHEEP CAN BEER?
I LIVE IN AZ AND IT IS REALLY HARD TO HAVE COLD BEER AT THE END OF A TRIP UNLESS YOU HAVE A HIGH DOLLER COOLER AND LOTS OF ICE OR JUST LOTS AND LOTS OF ICE.
I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN TESTING THE METHOD THAT COME OUT OF THIS, LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.
THANKS

relikpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
Since you asked, I think you need to find the caps lock key and press it.

The beer thing is a pretty easy experiment, throw a couple in the freezer and then take them out.
Old 10-14-2008   #3

Flg, Az
FREEZING BEERS

MY QUESTION IS HOW DOES IT AFFECT TAISTE?
DOES IT GO FLAT, DO SOME EXPLODE?
CARBOINATION? WHAT WORKS BEST?
THESE ARE THE QUESTIONS I NEED ANSWERED, NOT HOW TO PUT A BEER IN THE FREEZER?
relikpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008   #4

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Yes and no, Some ,yes, not really, sometimes.

I guess you must have spilled beer on your Caps lock key.

Everyone's tastes are different, but if you are just drinking Bud, does it really matter?
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #5

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Look at the top of the beer can, if the top is deeply concave, when it freezes it has more room to expand than other beer cans. Tast is still good especially if it is someone elses beer and only beer left. Also by splitting iced beers into days and don't open cooler, and seal arround cooler lid with tape everything stays verry cold. Will work with food also on multi-day trips.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #6

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Buy all the cheap beer you're accustomed too.....toss one of each in the freezer (a freezer works best for freezing things....you asked what works best ).....and see what happens. Sounds like a fun experiment to me. Taste will be about the same....but carbonation is another issue. Just gotta give 'er and see what happens!!

I haven't tested them all......but I know most domestics freeze well......carbonation lost for the most part.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I can tell you Dale's gets much flatter than it started.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #8

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
freezing beer

As a connoisseur or cheap cold beer here is all I know about freezing beer.

Usually quick freezing beer seems to burst them more than a slow process. ie: If i only put in a 12er in my freezer a couple may break, as opposed to filling the freezer up it takes longer to freeze due to amount of mass that needs cooled, in this case fewer break.

Hamms and PBR freeze well, and out of a 30 pack only 1 if any break. PBR seems to hold carbonation the best.

Tecate has about a 5-10% mortality rate.

besides tasting like shit, milwaukees best seem to break a lot.

Budweiser does almost as well as PBR, but when it is thawed it taste like.. well,.. Bud

Coors gold does okay, expect to loose about 2 of 30 to explosions

Steel Reserve (12oz) has about a 10% mortality, and tastes way worse then it did to begin with, hard to beleive but true.

Guinness, Bodingtons, Old Chub, Murphys, Youngs, etc all seem to not like to be frozen, not surprising but at $1.25 a loss that sucks.

Depending on how much beer you freeze/drink eventually after 200 burst beers you might as well have bought a expensive cooler. I can still put 3 30 packs of frozen PBR in a Coleman EXtreme cooler pack with crushed ice, not open it and have COLD beer after 7-10 days in 90 degree weather as long as cooler is left closed and in the shade..... I would say that over all PBR and Bud Hold up the best.

Scott
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #9

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
So, Its July and hot as hell, I am bored and an icy cold beer or two would certainly make my present condition a whole lot better. So much for the reason for bumping this old thread, plus I was witness to another way to freeze canned beer.

On the Selway a few years back, a kayaker asked me for some space in my raft cooler. He had a 12er of canned beer frozen solid. Not being the type of guy to turn down beer, I asked him how he did this and he told me to just find a tupperware tub large enough to hold the 12 pack, cardboard rapper and all, put it in, fill with water and put it into the freezer. He explained the process as the surrounding water freezes first and supports the cans thus protecting them from bursting. I do not recall the brand of beer but none burst as they were thawed and consumed. They must have been OK to drink as none of the cans came home full.

I thought the effort was over the top for canned beer but I wonder if the same process could be utilized for those fridge mini-tappers of Heini beer.
A small keg of beer per day after a hard summer day on the water just might be the ticket.

Hey Relic, did you ever get a post stone-age keyboard that does not yell at everyone? Unless your yelling, "I GOT SOME REALLY COLD BEER HERE", its just not how its done.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #10

Golden, Colorado
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer