fred norquist and evan garcia = awesome - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2011   #1
God Amongst Men
 
yetigonecrazy's Avatar
 
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,994
fred norquist and evan garcia = awesome

HUGE thanks fellas, for your hard work and time into making Bomb Flow TV. i just watched all three of your vids, and they were really incredible.

i have paid money to watch kayak videos that dont hold a candle to what you guys are giving for free. its a refreshing change in the sport, and i cant wait to see your future episodes! the pacific northwest one was especially sick!

for those of you that havent seen it, do it now. its not your average homemade film, with jerky camera action and lots of terrible editing. these are quality, well made movies, and they did a great job in the edit room. one of the better free movies you will ever watch.


__________________
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2011   #2
 
Boise, Idaho
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 537
Yeah, they do cool stuff.

The newest generation of technology will allow all of us to make some incredible videos, with the HD Go Pros and relatively cheap/effective software editing equipment. Add jump cuts, fast edits, music, and you're professional!
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #3
God Amongst Men
 
yetigonecrazy's Avatar
 
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,994
technology helps, but the human element plays a big portion of it. framing shots, knowing what shots to film, setting up shots, etc. technology is going to make the shots you take more clear, but it still takes a good eye for identifying and setting up the shot to make it work. its called cinematography. and these boys nailed it. their cinematography is one of the things that makes these episodes great.
__________________
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2011   #4
 
tallboy's Avatar
 
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless
Yeah, they do cool stuff.

The newest generation of technology will allow all of us to make some incredible videos, with the HD Go Pros and relatively cheap/effective software editing equipment. Add jump cuts, fast edits, music, and you're professional!
Totally bro, no raw talent there, just taking advantage of modern technology. We can all make films like that now...

Look at 95% of gopro heros - they never get out of their boat to shoot someone else, they dont frame shots, they just slap it on their helmet, raft, painter's pole or whatever, and hit record. Its the laziest way to film out there. Yes, they do get good footage, but can you watch a 100% gopro video?

There are a few of those guys on here doing that style - talented boaters not talented film makers. Running the gnar, speeding up the in between stuff footage, adding a little slo-mo on a boof, and grounding it with some bad hip/hop...sound familiar? It is played out, get out of the boat and try something new.

Garcia/Norquist are putting together some complex edits and their effort shows. Keep it up fellas, that was a ridiculous spring break!
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #5
 
Golden, Colorado
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,017
fucking WOW!
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #6
 
funkins's Avatar
 
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 447
That is the best free kayaking porn I have ever watched. I almost spooged in my pants.
__________________
Drew J.
funkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #7
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,107
Holy shit! Amazing video... Unreal drops... Laughing my ass off at the goofy little white segment.

I know these guys are at the top of the sport, but it amazes me that they survived the shit they ran. 90% of those drops looked like 90% chance of an ER visit if I ran them. Blown away.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #8
 
Dave Frank's Avatar
 
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,822
Good stuff. I've enjoyed watching both of your clips for years. Great shots and editing.

I too can't believe more people aren't getting hurt doing this. It is not for lack of trying.

Most of these guys rock and are probably not being that reckless, but some of the guys on there look like they are running shit upside down, backwards, and, well, not even in the boat. referring specifically to Chile #1.

Also, I like to drink as much as the next guy, but do we need to make such a big deal about it? There are lots of kids watching these vids. I don't expect mother Theresa, but think about the example you set for the kids that look up to you.

Sorry for preaching; get that brown!
__________________
Dave

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #9
 
Boise, Idaho
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
technology helps, but the human element plays a big portion of it. framing shots, knowing what shots to film, setting up shots, etc. technology is going to make the shots you take more clear, but it still takes a good eye for identifying and setting up the shot to make it work. its called cinematography. and these boys nailed it. their cinematography is one of the things that makes these episodes great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallboy View Post
Totally bro, no raw talent there, just taking advantage of modern technology. We can all make films like that now...

Look at 95% of gopro heros - they never get out of their boat to shoot someone else, they dont frame shots, they just slap it on their helmet, raft, painter's pole or whatever, and hit record. Its the laziest way to film out there. Yes, they do get good footage, but can you watch a 100% gopro video?

There are a few of those guys on here doing that style - talented boaters not talented film makers. Running the gnar, speeding up the in between stuff footage, adding a little slo-mo on a boof, and grounding it with some bad hip/hop...sound familiar? It is played out, get out of the boat and try something new.

Garcia/Norquist are putting together some complex edits and their effort shows. Keep it up fellas, that was a ridiculous spring break!
I completely agree. I fully realize what it takes to put together edits like this - my best friend is a filmmaker who both does - and works with fairly accomplished cinematographers, and I've been involved in the entire process.

I think what sets them apart is not their framing or even the shots they nail, but the fact that they're running shit that 99% of us aren't running. I mean, for the most part you're limited in how you frame a shot when creeking. You have your helmet cam footage, which is what it is for the most part, and you have what you're able to grab from a cliffside or on the shore line. You get a bunch of shots with great HD quality and spend some time editing and more often than not you'll get something that looks great.

And personally, I like the introspection that people like Anson Fogel and Skip Armstrong bring to their footage rather than the huck-and-claw approach of Demshitz... though I will fully admit that Fred's Dipper Creek edit is the coolest kayaking porn I've seen.

I'm not saying anyone can grab a GoPro HD and make what they're making... but what they're filming isn't that spectacular once you figure out your equipment, get your settings dialed in, spent some time with Final Cut Pro and add some bad dubstep or hip hop. But.. they're having fun and doing what they want to do and I have zero problem with that.

Skaters, boarders, and dirt bikers have been doing it for a few decades now and the film styles always becomes formulaic very quickly.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #10
 
caspermike's Avatar
 
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,507
good stuff for sure but just cuz these 2 are lucky enough to not have to work isn't a reason to bash the rest ;no priorities would b awesome
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Evan Garcia has nothing on these "3 bros" smauk2 Whitewater Kayaking 10 02-24-2011 08:11 PM
What is Fred Norquist up to these days? ckspaddler Commercial Posts 0 06-16-2010 02:32 PM
Evan Garcia nominated triberiders Whitewater Kayaking 4 12-20-2009 09:17 PM
Fred Norquist promo video 06/07 fred norquist Whitewater Kayaking 51 09-12-2007 05:54 PM
Fred Norquist promo video 06/07 fred norquist Whitewater Kayaking 2 08-27-2007 08:48 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.