Frazer Canyon? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-26-2008   #1
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
Frazer Canyon?

Will it come back up with warm weather this week? Is the creek culvert deal big? There are differences between the put in and take out descriptions in the Bible and the New Testament, what is current. Looking to be up that way Friday or Saturday. Anybody else want to do a reportedly beautiful canyon? Would appreciate beta. Thanks, Leroy

ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008   #2
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
On a III-IV road trip this week thru Gunny Ark Frazer Poudre. See Trip Planner for details. Mmmm...make that Fraser Canyon.
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #3

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag3dw View Post
Will it come back up with warm weather this week? Is the creek culvert deal big? There are differences between the put in and take out descriptions in the Bible and the New Testament, what is current. Looking to be up that way Friday or Saturday. Anybody else want to do a reportedly beautiful canyon? Would appreciate beta. Thanks, Leroy

Did this section a couple weeks ago and the put in description in the old testament is to take the creek from the highway down to the river; however there are four barbed wire fences (the five wire kind) on this route and can't be navigated. We searched for an alternative put in for a while and didn't really find one. The take out is easy on the left side of the highway by the ball fields. The canyon was a nice float trip with only one real rapid soon after the beginning. Can't say for sure if it'll run again but there appeared to have a lot of snow left to melt up in the Indian Peaks.
SummitCoColdH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008   #4

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag3dw View Post
Take a look at "Available Data for this site" "Daily data" at top of http://waterdata.usgs.gov/co/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060 That'll give you historical flow data. Choose the dates you want to check and it'll give you the info. This gauge is up by Winter Park. I'm not sure if it's before or after the diversions.

Through looking at other rivers' historical data, my guess is that the water will go back up, after the peak a couple days ago, maybe by this weekend, and then go on to peak again by around June 18 or so. Just a generality,, tho, each year is different.

Keep in mind that Denver Water takes a boatload of water out of the Fraser, so there may not be as much water as there would be in other same size rivers.

You could also check with MoHenry's Flyshop in Fraser for flow predictions.

It's a nifty canyon. Hope you enjoy it!
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
I've done it once. The put-in we used was to drive in Tabernash towards the RR tracks, park there and hike the tracks about 1/4 mile to the river. Take out at the park in Granby where the river crosses highway 40. Pretty, yes. Exciting, no. Horrible beetle kill in that canyon (like the rest of Grand County).
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #6

Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
PM me

I'll probably be available for a run down the Fraser on Friday - local boater.

Warm temps this week will probably bring it up a bit, but don't expect a lot of excitement unless it gets up above 1000. Surf gets good around that level.
Old 05-27-2008   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
I Second the tabernash putin and drive slow was the info i received than walk the railroad tracks a little. fun run for sure.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #8

Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Fraser Tommorow..

We (some Duckies and kayaks) are running the Fraser tommorow if anyone is interested. I am hoping with the warm weather we are having it will be above 600. Call me if you interested 970-531-7291.
Ian
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #9

Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Time?

What time you planning on running?

Should be over 600, if you get on it early enough. I'd love to run it late-morning.

Homer
970-281-9565
Old 05-31-2008   #10

Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
noon

We are meeting at noon in Fraser. I call you mid morning..
Ian
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote