Frasier River / Tabernash to Grandby (CO) - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-15-2016   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
Frasier River / Tabernash to Grandby (CO)

have any one kayaked the Tabernash - Grandby section before?
I cant find much information about it online, but I have heard stories. is it any good? Anyone know where to find info on it, or have any.

That's right, I am already planning for spring!

Thank you, have a great winter!

NorwayTor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2016   #2

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
The Fraser, spelled Fraser, is a magically great river when it runs. Unfortunately, Denver Water owns the "right" to divert 80% of the Fraser. This diversion is tunneled through and under the mountains from the west slope to the east slope and stored in Gross Mountain Reservoir (GMR). If GMR is not full, "They" take what they want with little regard for boaters or environment or anything else, until GMR is full. The only thing that matters is thirsty Denver. Fortunately, we have had a good cycle of snowfall for the last few years. Running the Fraser has been possible. In less than average snow years the Fraser does not really become boatable due to the diversions. The Plan underway is to, and will, expand GMR to 3 times its current capacity. This is expected to be achieved in 7 years. At that point, you can probably kiss the Fraser goodbye. There is no good public access to the top end of the Fraser. You need permission from private land owners. No one has ever really put a large effort into creating a good public access because it is not worth the effort when Denver Water has such a strong hold on the water right and could care less about boaters and their recreational wishes. Very sad story, for sure.
Fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016   #3

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Hi- The run details are in Colorado River and Creeks Vol 2. From my memory the put in required a short walk along railroad tracks, which I am sure is trespassing. If you feel that walking along the tracks for a 100 yards is an acceptable risk, I reckon you can do it.

I found the run to be nice, but not as difficult as guidebooks claim, but then again rating whitewater is such a subjective measure.

If you are looking for a challenging/adrenaline run, I would go elsewhere. If you want a little class 3 and some nice scenery, this is good to try to do.

The guidebook also says it can be rafted, but I wouldn't bother. My 2 cents.
wamsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2016   #4

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
And I feel dumb- just realized you are talking about above the section I just wrote about. Ignore everything I said. I have no beta for you. Goodluck
wamsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016   #5

It's a fun, pretty run. It's mostly easy class III with one rapid that is a little bigger than the rest. It doesn't run that often so if it's running and you're in the area I'd hop on it for sure.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016   #6
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Hello, here is a river that we can speak too!! Running the Fraser is always a HOOT! The White Mile is a huge amount of fun and there is plenty of splash when the water is running. There is a put in off the road over a bridge that is private land, the owners seem to be OK with folks launching there. I would recommend going to the local pub in Fraser and finding the boaters, there are plenty of them, and they can direct you. (Winter Park Pub, Deno's, Crooked Creek Saloon) Yes, the flow is controlled however the years I lived there we were on it early and having some super splashy fun. I never ran it at low water so I do not know what that is like. Any of my Fraser/Winter Park peeps on here that can give some more detail? Jeff, I know you are on the buzz, share it up! You know I was just an R2 machine following the commands of my captain and having a fabulous time, this stretch is very much worth the ride! ~ Keep it Right Side Up, Renee
Old 11-16-2016   #7
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've put in at the bridge on meadow creek, I think if you stay close to the bridge you can stay off private land, but not certain. Take out in the park, after the bridge going into Granby, on river left, just after Granby Falls.

Yep, dam the Denver Water Board, they want every last drop, and could give a shit about anyone or anything else, so long as they can sell it to rich idiots in Denver to water there lawns with.
Old 11-16-2016   #8
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Hey Mattman, do you know the area that you should get through as fast as possible and DO NOT stop under any circumstances on river right or put your foot on the ground in the river even? They were shooting into the river one day when we were river left. I know it was past a bridge but there are several bridges on that stretch. Scary rednecks! You will want to steer clear of that area for beer ummmmm errrrrr soda stops haha!! ~ Renee
Old 11-16-2016   #9
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Don't know, the only spot I've heard of people being shot at is the Fraser upstream of Tabernash, but that's not to say people haven't been shot at other places. Bet if it was the other way around, our new Sheriff would shoot em, (he likes shooting people for some reason, don't ask me why).
Old 11-17-2016   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Don't know, the only spot I've heard of people being shot at is the Fraser upstream of Tabernash, but that's not to say people haven't been shot at other places. Bet if it was the other way around, our new Sheriff would shoot em, (he likes shooting people for some reason, don't ask me why).
Wait WHAT? Shooting at people floating the river?? As in.. shooting to intimidate the kayakers?
NorwayTor is offline   Reply With Quote