Fossil & other AZ plop & drop for Saturday - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-15-2007   #1

Fossil & other AZ plop & drop for Saturday

I am heading down to central AZ near Fossil and thought I would scrape down it.
Any AZ folk know if any other goods are going from the recent rains (snow)... Christopher?

Steve

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. - Helen Keller
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2007   #2

Headed down first week of March

Steve,
I will be down in Durango at the end of Feb for work and am trying to take some time off to head down to AZ around the first week in March. You up for a road trip if the creeks are running?

Mike Pagel
303-929-7007
pagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #3

Not a whole lot happenin right now. Salt making some blips, but no creeks runnable yet. Big storm forcasted Sunday night, so stat tuned.
paddlelippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2007   #4

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Heading for Fossil tue - thurs. Leaving from Junction with two ppl if you want to join. If you end up there this weekend, let me know how it runs.

Josh
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007   #5

, Wyoming
Fossil Creek not worth the Drive

I went down to Fossil creek this weekend and I had fun but it is difinitely not class 4 Maybe class 3. One fun drop not technical at all. Line up and drop. Not worth the drive if that is the only reason for going south. I cant wait for spring.
paddle4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007   #6

Mike, let me know a day or 2 before you hit town. my schedule is sporadic, but I would love to join you.

Josh,
Fossil was great, it was low but fun. I was down there picking up a woodstove off Ebay and visiting some freinds.

It was a way cool valley and just a great place to hike, swim (warm water and 70 degrees) and hang out. Plan on about 1.5 hours from Flag and look at a topo, you can save about 1/2 hour of windshield time by hitting FR 708 straight out of camp verde in lieu of the books description.

It's not the gnar, but it was a lot of fun. My girlfriend was able to safely drop her first waterfall. she was fired up. I'll post a pic.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. - Helen Keller
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Josh-

If you check this thread before you leave, call me at 225-931-1359.

Cheers,
Josh from Boulder
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #8
BKC

Sward. Did you notice any rockclimbing options down there ... or does anyone about climbing or bouldering around Fossil. Also anyone planning to head down there at the end of March? Looks like the levels should be up some and am planning a 3 day weekend March 23rd, 24th and 25th (leaving the evening of the 22nd). Anyone going or anyone interested, PM me.
Brian
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #9

az climbing

hey BKC - check out: http://www.mountainproject.com/v/arizona/105708962

i don't personally know about climbing near childs, but if you're driving thru northern AZ, it is a climber's paridise.

if the weather is good, i couldn't encourage a trad climber to do anything more than spend some time at paradise forks, outside of williams, AZ - if weather is bad up north, there's tons of adventure climbing opportunities closer to fossil in the tuscon (mt. lemon) area.

have fun - S
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #10
BKC

Right on. Thanks Steve for the link and information. It'll make for a good mix of time.
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote