Fort Worth and Texas paddling (as requested) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-06-2003   #1

Fort Worth and Texas paddling (as requested)

They are working on 4 dams on the Trinity river west of downtown Fort Worth. They are designed for play . Scott Shipley came in to oversee the project. We are hoping for 4-5 months of park and play in the spring and early summer. When it rains there are a few streams you can run, class 2/3 . A dam release near DFW airport has a little park and play area in the spring, if there is rain. (about like Salida wave at 3/400cfs) Over all not a lot of good kayaking in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. A little better is in the Austin area, 3-4 hours south of Fort Worth. Southeastern OK/AR is better, but 5-6 hour drive, again when it rains and some dam release, if you can catch it. Try this wed site "www.luv2paddle.com" any other questions, just ask, hope this helps, but stay in CO. if you want to paddle.

flipover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2003   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
Have you ever actually been in the Trinity? It's pretty skanky. I would think about that before you get in there.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Flipover,
thanks for responding to my request. I was born and raised in Fort Worth and had no idea there was any paddleing. I have lived in Durango for 8 years now so I don't think I will be making the trek to FW for any paddleing. I would have to agree with gh, the Trinity always looked really polluted but I have never been in the water. Are the fetures on the Trinity designed for kayak play? Are there any kayakers in the DFW area they would be creating this for? Can you buy whitewater gear in the DFW? I will have to bring my boat home sometime to check out the features on the Trinity. Again, thanks for the response.
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2003   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
I thought the Trinity was were you put "bodies", not live people.
Old 11-07-2003   #5

The fork of the Trinity where the play area is being built is not one of the "polluted" areas of the river. This fork comes into town from the southwest as the river goes on east it does becomes very polluted. there are a lot of kayakers in the DFW area. Some of us are not very good. There are two WW shops in the DFW area, I get my gear in CO.
Old 11-07-2003   #6

Short Bus Driver, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via AIM to Dirty Al
I live in OK, but I am going to be in the DFW area for Thanksgiving to visit my Brother, is it worth it to bring my boats down and is there anyone who might want to hit water with me. Thank a lot.
--Al
Dirty Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
Cool, I worked off Industrial Blvd at one time just west of downtown Dallas, yes its a bad area and yes it was a bad job and I was thinking about the portion of the trinity that runs next to that and that was pretty ugly. Glad to know there are some decent sections for you. Only seems logical that you guys could work something out, lots of water in Dallas.
Old 11-07-2003   #8

Don't Go

I just moved up here after three awful paddling years in Dallas. Here's the headlines:

* 10+ hours of driving for 4 hours of good paddling (Arkansas is where the good stuff is)
* Storm runnoff that makes Confluence seem like natural spring water
* If you have a regular work schedule, pray for enough rain in the right watersheds on the right days; basically pray that the planets align
* Playing in holes in White Rock Creek (Dallas) while avoiding debris such as lawn chairs, beach balls, globes, buckets, etc. (actuall kind of fun)

I paddled more in two months here this summer than 2 years in Dallas. Don't go if you love paddling.
mango_yaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003   #9

Dirty Al
I would leave the boats in OK. and plan on playing Racquetball in FTW this trip
Old 11-10-2003   #10

Short Bus Driver, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via AIM to Dirty Al
Thanks for the info, I figured it couldn't be that great there.
--Al
Dirty Al is offline   Reply With Quote