Fort Collins Playpark - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-22-2010   #1

Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
Fort Collins Playpark

Hey everybody,

Up at BTO a week-ish ago my crew got a survey from someone at CSU about the whitewater park being long considered right off of College AVE. Apparently there is some new momentum again and private money, so I just wanted to say heads up and make sure everyone expresses their support for this and fill out those surveys. Thought it was odd that we hadn't heard anything about this on the buzz recently.

I for one am tired of driving out of town for play features (real ones--there is nothing legendary about the Legend) and spending money elsewhere when I want to do it here (except for BV--those features are too good!!). Bizarre that we are the only boating community around without a WW park...

Also, if anyone has any more info, let us know what's up...

Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010   #2

Lyons, Colorado
I thought that's what the Bridges was.
loot87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #3

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Lets be honest the play on bridges is amazing considering its natural but you can't really compare to a man made feature. Its difficult to hone in my play skills when the closest decent water park is an hour away. Plus if this park is done well it's going to be booming.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
I'm guessing the "money" is still around, can anyone comment?

Also, what happened with the Lyons Park/Laporte attempt? Any update there?

With the new development ideas near harmony and I-25, it seems Fort Collins is more interested in the river these days.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #5

I would never call the play on Bridges amazing at any level. I would go as far as to say it sucks. An eddyline does not make good play spot. A wave with bad eddy service that is ok only at certain levels does not make amazing considering its natural. 1.5 at high water would be an example of amazing natural spot, not BTO.

In my opinion, what Ft. Collins needs is someone who is like Mike Harvey was for Salida when their park was built; motivated and will go the distance to see it done. At the rate it's going in 5 years we will still be at the same spot wishing we had a play park.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #6

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Nay Sayer!
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #7

Paddling Since: 1993
Just to be clear, the money being described as new by the survey giver is the same money we raised about 5 years ago. Currently the city has the project on hold, waiting on the NISP decision. It has been over 12 years now since the first proposal for a park was submitted to the city and still no real movement. If you ask me I say we can the Fort Collins play park, take our money back, and move it to Laporte where the city might be interested in the project.
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
Glad to see it's still intact.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #9

Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrekid View Post
Just to be clear, the money being described as new by the survey giver is the same money we raised about 5 years ago. Currently the city has the project on hold, waiting on the NISP decision. It has been over 12 years now since the first proposal for a park was submitted to the city and still no real movement. If you ask me I say we can the Fort Collins play park, take our money back, and move it to Laporte where the city might be interested in the project.
I also heard a rumor that New Belgium was on board. not sure about that, but with their sponsorship of FibArk and seeing Oskar Blues sponsoring LOG, they should throw money behind this project. Hell, if they just set up a beer tent down there after the playpark is built that would pay for the whole project.

I heard way back that they were waiting on NISP, but what always made me wonder about that was that regardless of NISP, the town flows are so variable anyhow. It seems like the best way to make features work there is to design several features that are optimal at different flows, especially low flows, since town only stays high for a short time.

Talking to one of the Lyons locals a couple days ago though, it is amazing how they seem to be so on the ball down there, and even have a fund set up to make improvements every year.

It is crazy that we can't get this done--improving that corridor for all river users, not just kayakers, would be such a boon to the city...a no brainer!
Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #10

Lyons, Colorado
It all got started with one diehard, Arn Hayden. He got Oskars on board and they did a benefit and silent auction to raise money. I think he got some donated rock from the quarries and maybe some time with a back-hoe thing.

Seems like FTC could pull it off no sweat if we can.
loot87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark