Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Join Date: Sep 2004
Fort Collins Kayak Polo Stars this Thursday the 18th
Fall kayak polo season is starting this coming Thursday, on October 18th!
First night is Free for new players!
See below for all of the gory details:
Schedule and Fees for the 2012-2013 MKP Seasons:
Polo goes from 7:45pm to 10:20pm each Thursday during the season at EPIC pool in Fort Collins. We may extend the time if we get more people than usual.
Fall Season: October 18 - December 13th (8 weeks, no polo on TG) -- $90
Winter Season: Jan 17 - March 14th (9 weeks) -- $100
Spring Season: March 28 - May 9th (7 weeks) -- $80
Drop-in play is $15/night
You can pay with cash (exact change only, please!), check (made out to MKP), or by credit card at the pool.
Membership Fee Specials:
To keep our bookkeeping manageable, these deals ONLY apply if you pay on or before the first night of the season. Also note that you can only pick one special each season, no combining. If you won't be in town for the first night of polo, email me and we'll work it out.
More Info on MKP:
Experience: While previous kayaking experience is helpful, we welcome new players and new boaters are happy to teach you to paddle, roll, and play polo. Kayak polo is a great way get or stay fit for paddling, and a great way to learn to kayak in a (relatively) safe, controlled environment...at least compared to the river.
Gear: Polo is a full-contact sport, and MKP enforces a polo-gear-only rule to ensure fun and safe games. If you don't have your own, we provide all gear including helmets with facemasks, polo paddles, polo boats, and polo PFD's. We recommend that you bring your own sprayskirt, but the club does have some (relatively awful) ones if you don't have one. Other than sprayskirts, polo gear is different than whitewater gear, so don't plan to use yours unless you're sure it's suitable for polo. Email with questions.
Skills Clinics: On the first night of polo, we'll have a rules/reffing clinic starting at 7:15pm in the upstairs area at EPIC. This is mandatory for all new players, and highly recommended for everyone else. On most future nights, we'll start each night off with a 15-minute skills clinic, given by an experienced player. I've attached a PDF on kayak polo rules if you're new to polo (or need a refresher!).
- Early Payment Deal -- Get $10 off your one-season membership if you pay on the first night of polo.
- New Player Deal -- Bring a new player (or someone who hasn't played in at least 3 years) and both of you get half-price memberships for one season.
- Multi Season Deal -- Pay for two seasons at once and get $30 off the total price of the two seasons. Pay for all three seasons, and get $50 off the combined price of all three.
Team/Game Structure:Everyone plays together in teams that are randomly organized each night. This allows more experienced players to help newer players come up to speed quickly, lets everyone have a chance to play with different people, and ensures that teams are full and everyone gets the same amount of play each night.
Here's how it works on a typical night:
Want to know more?
- Starting at 7:40, we'll have a sign up sheet on the scoring table by the pool. As you come in, make sure that you have the person at the table sign you up.
- We'll make up as many evenly-skilled teams as we can by 8:10, and then distribute the remainder of people evenly among the teams.
- The schedule for the night will depend on how many teams we form, and will be enforced by the people running the table. Each team will get at least two games/night.
- If your team isn't playing, you shouldn't be in the pool.
- The master lists/schedule will be at the table. If you wonder what team you're on or when your team plays, ask at the scoring table.
Check out our website at http://mkp.kayakpolo.com/news.php
If you plan on joining us this season, email me at [email protected] . com