Foot bulkhead advice for a Wavesport Big EZ - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-13-2019   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2018
Foot bulkhead advice for a Wavesport Big EZ

Hi all,

Picked up a Big EZ few weeks ago and have been fooling around with different foam outfittings for the feet and haven't been successful yet. Mine still has the stock footrest which is comfortable for my heels, but my toes are floating if my heels are on the plastic rest. Trying to avoid taking out the stock "bulkhead" but I'm not sure what else to do to build up the foam.

Thanks!

nakedandruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Think I see what you are saying, would place some minicell foam on the heel plastic rest building it up so your feet are raised and you get purchase at all contact points. Couple of good foam kits out there already designed for yaks:

https://www.nrs.com/product/2048.7/p...yABEgIJ7PD_BwE

In the older boats it takes time, lots of what I used to know as "dragon paper" or a rasp scraping the foam to get it dialed. Make sure to not glue it in until you are happy with how it feels.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019   #3

Golden, Colorado
Thanks for the advice! Trial and error it is. This set up was working pretty well but it wouldn't fit with shoes. Going to have to play around with it

https://pasteboard.co/IjgfhLr.png
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019   #4

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Yak the WS foot system out, save a few pounds in weight. Use a pre-cut foam footblock, like the one Jackson Kayak makes ($3 or buy a $10 piece of foam (12x12x3) and cut your own footblock. In my experience it's a more simple, lighter, and better option to the WaveSport ingenuity.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019   #5

Golden, Colorado
Is it a pain to take out the WS bulkhead? My only fear is once I do that, I doubt I'll be able to get it back in place
Old 06-14-2019   #6

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
It's not too big of a deal to remove it - have to remove the center pillar, remove the plastic piece bolted thru the top of the bow holding the pillar in place - it's not too difficult. It's been 10+ years since I did that to a BigEz. Give it a shot - I doubt you'll want the heavy piece back in there once you remove it.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019   #7

Golden, Colorado
I think this is exactly what I'll do. With the foam bulkhead, I'm assuming you build out a little section for your feet? Or do you pad the bottom of the boat for your heels and leave your toes on the foam? I usually have my feet in a V on the bulkhead in my creeker, but no way that'll fit in the EZ
Old 06-16-2019   #8

Golden, Colorado
Ended up taking some time this weekend on the outfitting and finally got something that will work for me. Two foam columns behind the plastic footrest for resistance. Two adhensive pieces on top for the toes. Then I padded the plastic piece and put some foam directly in front of it for the heels.

Hope this helps someone in the future!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190616_141058_1560716367407.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	36295