flows Rio grande race course. - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-06-2014   #1

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2009
flows Rio grande race course.

What are good flows for the race course? Does anyone know the current flows?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Irrigation has started and the flow just dropped off. Personally I enjoy the Racecourse at flows close to and above 300 CFS in a kayak. Current level is 442. Here is the gauge:

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 08279500 RIO GRANDE AT EMBUDO, NM
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #3
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
well sheeeit. see what happens when i go to work for a week straight almost. i guess i knew it was coming. I guess i got fortunate last week... got a 'peak' run at 711cfs on 3/30... you can see on the graph, the day after we last did the LTB, the steady decline started... sigh...

So the Racecourse is runnable all the way down to 200-ish. I have guided it for a whole summer with the lowest level being 160 or so. i wouldnt say thats fun by any means though. twas character building, and i would just go climbing or mtn biking if it was that low. (or go to colorado...)
Like Logan said its plenty fun at 428 cfs. still nice to get wet all the way down to 200-ish, there are still channels and eddylines deep enough to playboat and roll at...you just hhave to know where they are....
We can still run the Lower Taos Box too, its just a lot more scrapey in a couple spots.... (yellowbank, powerline, screeaming Right, and the runout of sunset get mighty shallow. Powerline is pretty much a portage or wheel chair into a mank pile type option.) its actually pretty fun and creeky, just a loooong day. so start early, and bring lunch.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014   #4

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
lmyers,
Where did you find that irrigation has started? I felt that the flows on the Box through the Racecourse dropped due to lower temperatures in the basin this last week.
Also the gauge you quoted has the confluence w/ the Embudo which is artificially high.
This one is better as its up above the state park right after the Red coming out of the box confluence:

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 08276500 RIO GRANDE BLW TAOS JUNCTION BRIDGE NEAR TAOS, NM

Coming out of Albuquerque, below 300cfs is about where I feel I gotta be really desperate for boating. Its usually always runnable above 250.

We ran yesterday in the low 400's and it was quite good.
desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I drove through the San Luis Valley last week and irrigation season has definitely started. If you look at the Rio Grande near Lobatos gauge you can see the drop shortly after April 1st that reflects upstream diversions.

Detail Graph
ukonom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Ukonom is correct, and I prefer the Embudo gauge because it includes the Rio Pueblo which is a large tributary. What do you mean the Embudo is artificially high? The Embudo is not flowing/contributing significant flows....yet.
Old 04-08-2014   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
There is a guage at the Taos Junction Bridge too which includes the inflow from the Rio Pueblo (at the very end of the Lower Taos Box). Neither it, nor the guage at the Embudo are entirely accurate. There are numerous springs which creep into the Rio all along the state park section and through the Racecourse. The guage at Embudo is closer the RC section, but does include the added Embudo flow, though it's only running like 20 or 30 cfs.

We knew they were going to drop the flows for irrigation a few weeks ago. I was surprised it took them this long. Yes, this could have been the peak.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #8

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Yeah its a shame that was probably the peak until the monsoons hit.
We may get 1 more spring surge when Taos begins to melt, hopefully.
desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #9

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2009
FLOWS ARE DROPPING A TON!!! now only at 320!!! any one know why? will flows go up at all???
mark_vanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_vanis View Post
FLOWS ARE DROPPING A TON!!! now only at 320!!! any one know why? will flows go up at all???
So San Luis Valley farmers can grow potatoes....there is a good chance it will come back up briefly when the NM Sangre's melt, but I don't have much faith that it will go higher than what it was.

Here is a little info about the irrigation situation if you feel like doing some reading:

"The total annual water supply to the San Luis Valley averages about 2,500,000 acre-feet. About 1,500,000 acrefeet is streamflow derived chiefly from snowmelt in the surrounding mountains and 1,000,000 acre-feet is from precipitation on the valley floor. Discharge of water from the valley averages about 2,000,000 acre-feet per year by evapotranspiration and about 500,000 acre-feet per year as stream flow and ground-water underflow across the state line. The annual streamflow at the state line averages 445,000 acre-feet and ground-water underflow accounts for the remainder, currently estimated at 55,000 acre-feet. About one-half of the evapotranspiration is nonbeneficial; that is, it does not contribute to the growth of plants having economic value. Much of the nonbeneficial consumption is by phreatophytes, mostly greasewood (Sarcobatus), rabbitbrush (Chrysothamnus), and saltgrass (Distichlis), in areas where the depth to water is less than 12 feet."

https://nmgs.nmt.edu/publications/gu...0129_p0132.pdf

Bureau of Reclamation - San Luis Valley Project