FLOWS DONT BE FOOLED - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-19-2008   #1

FLOWS DONT BE FOOLED

on Eddyflower the flows are not up to date and or time!!!!

2 examples this morning are:

1. Lawson run on cleer creek shows 11 cfs but USGS shows 138
and
2. Fraser Canyon shows467 cfs USGS is 513

so be sure to take one more step on Eddyflower and check the actual USGS graph!!! Here it comes!!!!

brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008   #2

steamboat, Colorado
This has been happening with the Yampa drainage all spring. Eddyflower is becoming a good way to find out what a stream was running yesterday. Just go to the USGS page instead.
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #3
&d

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Stack that on top of unverified user-submitted beta and gauges (in a few cases the wrong gauges entirely) and Eddyflower becomes a nice place to thumb through old CRCII write-ups.

I wonder if the USGS tech team called them to ask why their site was spamming their gauges for real-time data and made them back it off to under a few hundred submissions per day
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008   #4

USGS say their having power outage problems today, that could be the culprit. As far as some run descriptions being CRCII write ups, we kayakers have no one to blame but ourselves. If you have a better or more up to date run description then add it. Eddyflower is a great resource, but, only as much as we make it to be.
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #5
&d

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I like the old write-ups personally, but if it were my site, I would add a simple form submission on each write-up to identify info that should be peer-reviewed. I know you can click 'Contacts' and send an email but I would at least put a link/disclaimer on each beta page.
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #6

I agree! Climing boulder.com has that on rock routes which dont change as frequently as rapids do!

also some runs show pictures of runs at low water and you have to use your imagination! I bet many people look at some rivers and say "that doesnt look so bad" and then they get there ass beat!

also everything is at the opinion of the writer! again Lawson(eddyflower calls it the Dumont Stretch) as an example!
you could run it now at a class 3 grade but at higher flows some say its not harder than 3 plus and at flows over 700 (still medium flow) seems tougher than other 4's in a kayak unless you are a class 5 boater! I wont run it as of yet in my kayak over 300 but in my raft will crank it any flow (except maybe this years peak!?!?!?! hmmmmmm I'll guess at 1300!!!!

I run it 30+ times a year in raft or kayak , but thats my opinion!
Old 05-19-2008   #7

C.O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstroke View Post
.....As far as some run descriptions being CRCII write ups, we kayakers have no one to blame but ourselves. If you have a better or more up to date run description then add it. Eddyflower is a great resource, but, only as much as we make it to be.
Good Idea. But we might want to wait till after this years peak for updates to avoid duplication of effort. I'm guessing that many or most of the creeks/rivers is this state are gonna see more water than they've seen in about a decade. If Mother Nature decides the rapids need to see big changes, this is the year to do it. There's gonna be boulders rollin' in them rivers! Hopefully for the better.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #8

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettb View Post
also some runs show pictures of runs at low water and you have to use your imagination! I bet many people look at some rivers and say "that doesnt look so bad" and then they get there ass beat!
if anyone is running that blind deaf and dumb a good ass beat'n will do them a world of good. read the disclaimer people. everyone needs to quit crying about the write ups and start participating themselves. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????... "use your imagination!"... imagine what these baby's would have been doing in the good old days before online flow data...
Old 05-19-2008   #9

"If anyone is running that blind deaf and dumb a good ass beat'n will do them a world of good"

I concurr!!!! but the reality of how quickly the sport is growing and the amount of uneducated people are that are out there is incredible!

"everyone needs to quit crying about the write ups and start participating themselves"

I dont beleive anyone is crying dumbass.... just trying to improve our collaborative system!!! so we have the opportunity to get better updated info if we so choose

"imagine what these baby's would have been doing in the good old days before online flow data..."

ummm yeah! been there !!!!! I remember how stoked everyone was when CRC came out with the first edition!! I enjoy the adventure of new rivers
and I also enjoy the beta we can get online so we can drive countless hours across the state and know that water is flowing and recent conditions!

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME???"

nope! Have you seen the people out there recently!!!!!! I carry a pfd and throw bag on my center console of my gas guzzler as I cruise down your way!!!! cant tell you how many times I've pulled over to use it!!

are you kidding me that you are really that angry at this post and possibly think we are bithcing! as for myself I'm looking at how we can improve the system a little!!!