Flows? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-28-2006   #1

Flows?

What determines if section is "N/A" or if it is "Ice Null" on the flows page? I got desperate (yes, very desperate) and went down to the Clear Creek Play Park this evening. I just got back and tried to check the flows but the site shows no numbers. It felt like maybe 40 but it was kind of hard to tell.

COUNT

COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2006   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'll admit it. I went there too today. I think it may have been as high as 50 cfs. You can't surf but you can do sweet ice spins on the frozen eddy below the bleacher hole. I think we need to admit to ourselves that its not boating season yet.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #3

Wow. I don't feel nearly as bad hearing that I wasn't the only one. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it there until dusk, so it felt even colder than it been all day (or maybe it had something to do with the fact that my gear was all still wet from the pool session last night). I paddled down past the drop after bleachers and found it completely blocked up by a big ice dam. Who would have thought that the Golden Play Park could have a must make eddy? The USGS site had 44 down for the historical average so that's what I put down in my log. That sounds about right, too. I never had to admit it wasn't boating season, see, I've always considered March 1st the beginning of the new season (but then again, this is the first season I've paddled on February 28th).

COUNT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2006   #4

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Now I don't feel so silly for considering going there. But I ended up in Lost Creek Wilderness.

FYI the NF is still quite unboatable in case anyone is wondering, but the SF looked good to go for all the newbies jonesin' to start the season early.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #5

Metro Area, Colorado
with the nice weather this past weekend I couldn't take it any longer. my brother and I paddled Waterton on Friday afternoon. It was running, but thats about it. We scraped our way down to Green Bridge where we had to take out due to an ice bridge. Was still a beautiful float and it felt great to get back in the boat.
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #6

Hey,
I haven't been able to find many people willing to go out right now. Let me know if anyone decides to do any day/afternoon trips in the next month. I'd be up for CC, Waterton, Deckers, the Colorado, Ark, etc. Any posts, e-mail, or pm's would be great! See you on the River.

COUNT
Old 03-01-2006   #7

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
To answer your first question COUNT: At least at golden, the gauge is located near where 6th ave crosses the river. There's a flat spot in the river that is nearly always iced up this time of year. So, the gauge reads "Ice Null" because the gauge is frozen. I'd presume this is the case for most of the gauges. For example, Shoshone flows all year, but shows Ice Null all winter on the flows page.
Old 03-03-2006   #8

Thanks. Then I'm assuming that the flow tabs that read "N/A" are the ones that aren't Ice Null but simply don't have enough water to get a good reading, right?

COUNT
Old 03-03-2006   #9

Cross Mountain is in (2000 cfs), Guage is out (Ice null). Contradictions abound.
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #10

Contradictions do abound. A dickhead friend gave unsupported info. No solid info on Cross. Scratch last post...........
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote