Flood level paddling - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2014   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Flood level paddling

Apparently there was a kerfuffel over some high water surfing.

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Sat...?m=y&smobile=y

Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014   #2

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Whats the big deal? Kayakers are getting bent out of shape over this? Those are big name guys too that are writing in over that airing. Seemed to be a pretty well done report to me. Stuff must not be running yet in the SE and people are grumpy.
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #3

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
It was pretty funny though, the firefighters being all like "best we can do it throw them a rope" LOL... throwing a rope to Dane and Nich who are out playboating... hilarious!!
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014   #4
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
EDITED: nevermind
Old 04-24-2014   #5

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
Whats the big deal? Kayakers are getting bent out of shape over this? Those are big name guys too that are writing in over that airing. Seemed to be a pretty well done report to me. Stuff must not be running yet in the SE and people are grumpy.
This is in upstate NY, not the SE. The big deal is that the media and the "authorities" usually don't get too involved in who is running what. The media and cops shouldn't make these guys out to be nut cases. The non-experts were staying off the river. Back east, the cops and media usually don't go into a frenzy like in Colorado when the water comes up and whitewater boaters want to keep it that way.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #6

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
This is in upstate NY, not the SE. The big deal is that the media and the "authorities" usually don't get too involved in who is running what. The media and cops shouldn't make these guys out to be nut cases. The non-experts were staying off the river. Back east, the cops and media usually don't go into a frenzy like in Colorado when the water comes up and whitewater boaters want to keep it that way.
Don't really want to get technical, but Dane is a SE, Pat Keller is a SE, Nick by way of marriage and sponsership in my mind is SE. I understand that it is in NY hence why I said stuff must not be running in the SE and they are grumpy.

I don't think they made them out to be crazy at all. Title is Crazy or What? They seemed to present that there are two ideas of what they were doing and to most that don't kayak it probably does seem a little crazy. Felt like the cops were just saying they have little power in the situation and if something did happen then there would be little to do, yet it would still be their responsibility. Feel kinda bad for them since they are out of their element, but they are still expected to perform.
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
The media and cops shouldn't make these guys out to be nut cases. The non-experts were staying off the river. Back east, the cops and media usually don't go into a frenzy like in Colorado when the water comes up and whitewater boaters want to keep it that way.

While this article seems incomplete on a couple of levels I don't think they made anyone out to be "nutcases" nor did I feel like they went into a "frenzy." 1) they identified the paddlers as professions 2) they weren't wrong when commenting on the debris floating down the river and how that might effect a paddler, whether above or below water. It's actually pretty objective. How are they supposed to know this high volume play boating is the norm for these guys? Why would anyone assume that anyone else, outside of kayaking, would know who nick troutman and dane jackson are and that they are well equipped to mitigate risks?

I would more readily describe someone that can't see how this would make officials nervous and contemplate what a call to action would mean, a nutcase that's acting a smidge frenzied.

It should also be noted, there is no report of Dane or nick being asked to get off the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 04-25-2014   #8
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Just looks like typical B-rate local news casting to me. A good reminder not to waste time watching the local news. In some ways over-hyping it is good as it keeps the local yahoos out of the water riding their pool toys and averts potential drownings.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #9

Beersheva, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
I think you have to give credit to the news station for publicly stating there was widespread disagreement with their reporting. They didn't have to do that. The only thing that stands out to me is the numerous grammatical and spelling errors from the submissions of the people that wrote into the station. It's one thing to comment like that on public forums like MB, but if you're writing into a journalistic news source your message falls pretty flat when you mess up every other sentence.
j-jo-ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Flood level paddling

Oh man, I just read the comments....I'm thinking the aggressive approach in a couple responses coupled with the inability to write coherently does very little to explain an expert kayakers point of view (not categorizing myself in the expert column....).

.....we should probably just let this go - 2 Kevin's (Jacobi and Cripps) on this thread have already spoken. I believe the verdict has been reached...Ha, kidding....

...but I really don't see why this local news team and officials are being met with such aggression. Was the story incomplete? Yes. Was the title a little sensational? Yes. Did they dog on the boaters? Not in
my opinion. Did they have legitimate concern stemming from high flow? Of course. It's funny to read comments alluding to the fact that simply because these guys are as comeptent as they are that risk all of the sudden doesn't apply. It still applies, it's just they are just better equipped and knowledgable in the subject matter than just about anyone else to deal with what happens when plan B, C, D, etc....goes into effect.

I find Pat Keller's comments the most remarkable of them all. I'm not going to go back to quote it directly, but he says that rolling up is not difficult neither is paddling back to shore.... Seeing water level logs that are the same color as the river are easy to see... These seem like peculiar statements to be made. He seems to qualify that these moves are not difficult for an expert, but I don't think that it's articulated very well. Rather, he sounds defensive and angry that someone should be so bold as to suggest that these particular professions could ever be put in harm's way - might have been received to general public and kayakers alike to acknowledge (as nick did in the interview) that there are certainly inherent dangers and they go in with that knowledge and the skills to deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz