float times in October on westwater - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-13-2006   #1

float times in October on westwater

Gotta question, we want to camp at blackrocks and float to the lower camps in westwater, i.e. below skull, sock it to me. Its running 5k maybe smaller. Think we can make it with checking in at the ranger station this time of year?

bawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2006   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Since ZBaird's on the Omo I'll field this one.

It'll be a long day but you should be able to make it if you get a very early start from Black Rocks. I think its about 4 hours rowing to the ranger station without a motor but may be wrong. Make sure to have your act together when you get to the ranger station and you should be able to get checked through pretty quickly. Just be ready to show them all the required gear.

If you don't have any compelling reason to camp below the rapids, you may want to reconsider and camp at one of the upstream campsites. Consider having to deal with an emergency on the river as the sun is going down, especially when the temperature's dropping into the 40s or 30s. Also, that late in the day at this time of year, you probably won't have much, if any, direct sunlight in the Canyon, especially as you're running the rapids. Then consider that the first campsite below the rapids, Big Hole I think, will be a big mud hole after the high water last weekend. These things given, Miner's Camp or Upper Couger Bar should be starting to look pretty good....

There are just too many good hits to be shivering and tired when you get to the rapids.

Flow's forecast for about 4500 which is perfect for splashy fun, the water's going to be pretty cold though.

Flow:
http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/river/stat...plot.cgi?CCUC2

Weather:
http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast...84532&metric=0

PS - in a loaded 16' cat you should be able to punch Sock-it-to-Me.

Enjoy!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
That trip is begging for a motor. I usually get flamed for this, but having a motor for blackrocks is ideal. You float without it, as long as you feel like it and weather permits, then crank it up for an hour and get right to camp even if the wind picks up. You can still have breakfast and get to the ranger's in a timely fashion.

I do agree that not trying to run the rest of the canyon before camping, is probably a good idea.

Dave
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2006   #4

thanks fellas. Dave, check your pm.
Old 10-13-2006   #5

AndyH

check you pm.
Old 10-13-2006   #6

Andy H

AndyH, could you check your pm
Old 10-15-2006   #7

Scratch Upper Cougar for a camp...beach is currently a 5 foot sand cut bank.
WAVER is offline   Reply With Quote