flat spin, help? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-29-2007   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
flat spin, help?

Well, for the past few days, i've been working on my flat spins while surfing. I can get the first 180 fine, and then when I try the second, it automatically sends me to a squirt. So, i know that i'm dropping my hip, and I know i should be keeping my weight center, and not trying to use my edges while spinning, i should use my paddle. Now, i know what to do, sort of. I just don't "Know how to do it" if that makes any sense. Any help would be appreciated.

jeremy_warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007   #2

Indian Hills, Colorado
Lean forward and try to keep the water off the back deck.
crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007   #3

Denver, Colorado
DOH! I should have thought of that the same, as a regular spin, except, reverse:-/. i'm also trying, to work on my squirts, but I get off balance too easy, after I go vertical. i guess it's all trial, and error. finding my balance point, like riding a manual on a bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007   #4

San Diego and Frisco, CO
WHERE, fur crying out loud. It's football season. ! !
(I promise I will stay in Cali. ) But what is working over there and how shallow is it?? You wearing them poagie things?
KJ
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007   #5

Gunnison, Colorado
Yeah, it is just the same only backwards. At first, I found it easier, depending on the wave, to just go for the whole rotation instead of backsurfing and then trying for it. Also, the biggest piece of advice that I got while learning was to make sure I was looking ahead of my boat (where I was going to be) instead of at my bow.
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #6

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
Yeah, it is just the same only backwards. At first, I found it easier, depending on the wave, to just go for the whole rotation instead of backsurfing and then trying for it. Also, the biggest piece of advice that I got while learning was to make sure I was looking ahead of my boat (where I was going to be) instead of at my bow.

Well, now that you mention it. last weekend don at CK mentioned that your eyes sort of 'line' your body up for your next move. the same way you should look, when doing a rotation as you're skiing(Spot landing, or whatever).... same thing eh?
Old 09-30-2007   #7

First post. I have only been at it for a year but there is a hole out my back gate. I go allmost every day. The "go for the whole 180 at once" is good advice. Just sweep the 180 and kiss the deck at the same time you grab the other side and pull. If your edges are good so are you.
jimmynedmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #8

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Hey, I didn't have time to read the whole thread cause I am in an airport right now but here are a few tips.

When you start a spin, make sure that you keep looking upstream. With that in mind, here are a few steps. I am going to go through this with the steps for a righty spin but the steps are just opposite for a left spin.

1) Start at the top of the wave

2) As you accelerate down the wave, fix your eyes upstream and plant a right backstroke.

3) As you take your right backstroke, make sure not to drop your upstream edge, as this will cause a windowshade. On the otherhand, if you dig in your downstream edge too much, you will end up carving off the wave. Therefore, find a perfect balance, keeping the boat relatively flat with just enough downstream lean so as not to windowshade.

4) After you have taken your back stroke, your boat should be surfing backwards on the wave, your right blade will be near your toes, and you will be looking upstream over your left shoulder.

5) Once you have gotten to step 4, turn around so that you are looking upstream over your right shoulder, and plant your left sweep stroke up near your toes.

6) Take your sweep stroke, once again being careful about your edges.

Jeremy, it does sound a little bit like you might be leaning too far back. On the otherhand, leaning far forward is not the solution. For the most part, you want to stay just a tiny bit leaning forward from a neutral position.

What usually causes people to squirt out is that they forget to switch their edge. When you are going from forward to backwards on a right spin, your left edge is slightly up. When you come from backwards to forwards, your right edge should be slightly up.

If you leave your left edge down, when you take your left sweep stroke it will slice your edge down into the fast moving downstream water on the face of the wave.

Keep getting out there and working on it and you will get it soon! if you have any questions, shoot me a message, sorry it is tough to explain this stuff over the net.

David
Team Jackson Kayak
Old 09-30-2007   #9

Julesberg, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Where!?!

Eddyflower says Golden is too low at 100cfs, is this true?
Ryde164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #10

Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the info guys, i read it last night/this morning before boating, and I went out. It took me about 10 tries, and then I finally got a full 360 degree rotation, and it spit me back out. then, it took quite a few more before I got another one, and so on. My best was 3 and a half rotations.

Now, i'm getting irritated about my roll. I can do it fine(most of the time), in an eddy, and i've yet to do a combat roll... So, i guess i'll be back out there trying those some more too.