Flaming Gorge to Crook Creek Campground - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-16-2011   #1

durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Flaming Gorge to Crook Creek Campground

Hi, I'm looking for info on this stretch of river. Wondering how fast the flow would be in early June, how the camping is, and if it's worth the 7 hour drive from Dgo. We have a weekend to fill, we didn't pull any permits, and we're trying to pick a river. We had also thought about the stretch of Colorado below Westwater, but that seems like kind of snooze. Any advice, opinions, info appreciated. All rafts.

dgogirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I've run section A many times, and have always wanted to do Section B, just haven't gotten around to it yet. The flow is dam controlled, so it stays pretty consistent. In high snow pack years, they often will have a weekend in June where they let out a lot of water. You never know when that might be, but you could probably find out info from the fly fishing outfitters. You can't camp in section A, but there are quite a few designated river camps in section B that look really nice. Some are reservable through the rec.gov website. The rest you stop at Little Hole and sign up for. Check out www.fishgreenriver.com for info, shuttles, pictures, camp info, etc. If you go all the way to Swinging Bridge/Crook Creek, I think that would be a nice long weekend float. bring your fly rod for sure.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011   #3

The Bitterroot, Montana
The rapids in section A are very mellow and there are the most people on this stretch. Once we got on B I didn't see anyone. There is one rapid that could be a pain in a raft if it is super low (red creek). Still not very hard. When I did this I had a broken femur with a crutch straped to the top of my kayak and my girlfriend at the time was on a duckie with a dog. Oh and we had both consumed some large amounts of fungus..... it is very scenic. We saw a moose.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Great stretch - we did section A and B and camped two nights. The campsites are cushy- outhouses, fire rings and picnic tables. No groover needed.

River Campgrounds

Reserve a campsite here: Find Camping - Recreation.gov - search near Dutch John, Ashley National Forest and use the link above to identify the camp you want.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
This is one of my girlfriend and I's favorite places to float. Definantly worth the drive. The shuttle is expensive but worth it if you are driving in one vehicle. Enjoy the scenery and fishing.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011   #6

Sandy, Utah
I am pretty sure that the camps in section B don't have outhouses anymore. They all have tables, fire rings, and portable toilet screens. You have to bring your own groover. That is the info I got last summer from the USFS & at Trout Creek Outfitters when I was planning a section B trip.
Ditto what caverdan said about the shuttle. Kind of pricey for such a short shuttle.
KJ
Old 04-17-2011   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
We camped at grasshopper last year in october and the camps across the river had out houses. worth it to pay for the shuttle. Takes 3 hours to do it ur self
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011   #8

Sandy, Utah
I just checked the rec.gov website, and you MUST bring a groover. Usual USFS requirements......sealable, washable, no bags.
The camps in section B have groover "blinds." Two sided structures where you "hide" your groover.
KJ
Old 04-17-2011   #9

There are two camps with nice outhouses on B; all others have blinds.

River is class 2plus read and run except red creek; which has some moves. Red creek has a easy sneak route on the left if there is enough water; which there should be in June. The run against the right wall can get prickly at the end; and it would be a real pain in the ass to wrap on the rock in the middle of the current. There is a pillow, so the risk is not huge in an inflatable. At really high flows, an impressive pourover occurs on the right; but the left is still easy.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Thanks for the update on the outhouses - it's been a few years; I didn't mean to give out bad info. Either way- easy camps for sure...
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote