fishing/backpacking advise and ideas - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-29-2010   #1

Rocky Mountain Hooliganz, Rocky Mountain High
Paddling Since: 2007
fishing/backpacking advise and ideas

Sorry guys I know it's not a paddling post, but my shoulder is still sore from the dis-locate a few weeks ago. So no paddling for me right now!

I'm looking for a close trip (with in a couple hours drive) that I can go on a short backpacking trip with some good fishing and scenery. The wife and I may go on a short trip Friday night through Sunday morning. Just looking for some ideas!! Thanks!

Cheers!!

-Nick

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010   #2

Indian Hills, Colorado
To name two:
lost creek wilderness
beaver creek near Canon City
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandertek View Post
I'm looking for a close trip (with in a couple hours drive) that I can go on a short backpacking trip with some good fishing and scenery.
A couple of hours from where???

What do you consider a "short" backpacking trip?
NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010   #4

Thanks Dan, I didn't think about LCW. That's a good idea!!

Sorry Nolsguy, I meant close from Colorado Springs or Denver area. Short as in from Friday evening to Sunday morning/ish. I'm an ok hiker/backpacker. I climbed Pikes Peak up and down from Barr Trail head in 10 hrs flat, and do the manitou incline up and down in a total of 45 minutes flat. Not the fastest (kinda slow I guess) but I get around alright.

Just looking for a good hike with the wife to enjoy some fishing and scenery and not in a campground setting.

Thanks everyone for some trip planning help!!

Cheers!!

-Nick
Old 06-29-2010   #5
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
really hard to go wrong in Indian Peaks Wilderness. Grab an IPW map at REI or wherever and plan something out. You may see a lot of folks in the first few miles of trails, but once you get past that, its often pretty peaceful. You do need a permit right now to overnight, which you can get at f/s locations or the Ace hardware in Nederland. Mostly you are looking at out and back type hikes, but you can make some loops, especially if you are willing to leave two cars or hitchhick back to your rig from a different trailhead/place on the peak to peak. Basically, any time you hike through IPW over the divide from east to west, you should be secluded and not see many people once on the west side. Plus it is only an hour or so to the various trailheads from denver.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC View Post
really hard to go wrong in Indian Peaks Wilderness. Grab an IPW map at REI or wherever and plan something out. You may see a lot of folks in the first few miles of trails, but once you get past that, its often pretty peaceful. You do need a permit right now to overnight, which you can get at f/s locations or the Ace hardware in Nederland. Mostly you are looking at out and back type hikes, but you can make some loops, especially if you are willing to leave two cars or hitchhick back to your rig from a different trailhead/place on the peak to peak. Basically, any time you hike through IPW over the divide from east to west, you should be secluded and not see many people once on the west side. Plus it is only an hour or so to the various trailheads from denver.
SWEET!! Thanks!! I feel stupid for asking this but I am assuming that lost creek and indian peaks wilderness are the same or next to each other?? Looks like I will probably plan on that area!! Is the fishing pretty good in there?? Thanks!!

Cheers!!

-Nick
Old 06-29-2010   #7

Denver, Colorado
I really agree with the Indian Peaks idea...that's a great area. I like to go in on the west side.

The Lost Park area is a truly amazing part of our state, one that's also not overcrowded or well known, so that's a good choice as well. The fishing isn't great, but some brookies can be caught in goose creek...if fishing is a priority, I'd go with IP, tho you'll need to hike back some distance to really get into some good fishing. I'm thinking the length of your trip might get in the way of great fishing in the IP.

Let me know if you want some trailhead ideas for Lost Park. I used to take inner-city kids backpacking there with a program I worked for. I love that area.

Have fun!
Old 06-29-2010   #8

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandertek View Post
SWEET!! Thanks!! I feel stupid for asking this but I am assuming that lost creek and indian peaks wilderness are the same or next to each other?? Looks like I will probably plan on that area!! Is the fishing pretty good in there?? Thanks!!

Cheers!!

-Nick
No, they are not near each other. LP is near the deckers area (cheeseman reservoir)...IP is near Granby on the west side, and near Ward/Netherlands on the east.