First Roll to First Class V - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-28-2015   #1

Golden, Colorado
First Roll to First Class V

Over the past two seasons me kayaking, I have been filming to show my progression through this sport. Since it is winter and almost a foot of snow on the ground, I decided to go through and put some of the clips together to show my first roll to first Class V. I did end up missing some footage, such as cracking my helmet... All three times... On the same rock... At different water levels each time... (Photos of the helmet below.) But hey, I go kayaking to have the time of my life, not to get footage. Check the video out if you guys want.

All I got to say, "I wanna get better."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Huge hit 1.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	794.0 KB
ID:	9429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Huge hit 2.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	751.2 KB
ID:	9430  

BetterNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2015   #2

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2014
What'd you say was the most beneficial thing you did to improve?
jjeco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015   #3

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Awesome! Definitely see some improvement as the vid goes on, not bad for only two years in a boat.
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2015   #4

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeco5 View Post
What'd you say was the most beneficial thing you did to improve?
That is a good question. I'd have to say getting out there each day and dream about getting out each day when I stayed home. Even when I had Giardia I was doing 1 or 2 trips a day... Those were fun...

Sent from my LG-D851 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 02-28-2015   #5

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Leisure View Post
Awesome! Definitely see some improvement as the vid goes on, not bad for only two years in a boat.
Haha, Thanks!

Old 02-28-2015   #6

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterNot View Post
That is a good question. I'd have to say getting out there each day and dream about getting out each day when I stayed home. Even when I had Giardia I was doing 1 or 2 trips a day... Those were fun...

Dang man thats intense, I wish I could go out each day. What rivers were you on?
jjeco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015   #7

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Not bad for two years at all! Also appreciate the "I want to get better," mantra. Keep getting out there!

Not to be the bearer of bad news, maybe just a healthy reality check, but Pine Creek at a level where you can just waltz through the hole, sneaking Gore Rapid and going upside down, and getting lucky to flush out of Tunnel does not qualify as ready for Class V. All of those rapids at those flows are at most difficult V- and before you head to real deal class V, you've got to be able to make those kinds of rapids look flawless. Your progression is solid. Please don't misinterpret, but just know that a solid class V run probably isn't for you yet.

It's been said many times before but the best way to get to Class V is to crush every hard line you can imagine on the local class IV. Your video for this spring could be something like "styling the numbers at high flows and catching every eddy." Making every ferry, punching every hole, boofing every rock (which it looks like you've been doing) and smoothing out that stroke will make you the best paddler the quickest. Surviving class V is a good way to realize how far you've got to go but not the fastest way to progress (and also the most dangerous way forward).

Just some unsolicited advice from a coach/dad who's got too much time on his hands on a Sat morning cause he's got to stay with the kids since the wifey is sick and he can't shred the bounteous powder.
Old 02-28-2015   #8

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeco5 View Post
Dang man thats intense, I wish I could go out each day. What rivers were you on?
Mostly Arkansas River Royal Gorge or Upper Clear Creek Canyon

Old 02-28-2015   #9

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverWrangler View Post
Not bad for two years at all! Also appreciate the "I want to get better," mantra. Keep getting out there!

Not to be the bearer of bad news, maybe just a healthy reality check, but Pine Creek at a level where you can just waltz through the hole, sneaking Gore Rapid and going upside down, and getting lucky to flush out of Tunnel does not qualify as ready for Class V. All of those rapids at those flows are at most difficult V- and before you head to real deal class V, you've got to be able to make those kinds of rapids look flawless. Your progression is solid. Please don't misinterpret, but just know that a solid class V run probably isn't for you yet.

It's been said many times before but the best way to get to Class V is to crush every hard line you can imagine on the local class IV. Your video for this spring could be something like "styling the numbers at high flows and catching every eddy." Making every ferry, punching every hole, boofing every rock (which it looks like you've been doing) and smoothing out that stroke will make you the best paddler the quickest. Surviving class V is a good way to realize how far you've got to go but not the fastest way to progress (and also the most dangerous way forward).

Just some unsolicited advice from a coach/dad who's got too much time on his hands on a Sat morning cause he's got to stay with the kids since the wifey is sick and he can't shred the bounteous powder.
Exactly! Pine Creek was not a Class V when I ran it, but Gore and Tunnel were. I'm still considering them my first class V rapids, but in no means am I calling myself a Class V paddler. I didn't take the bigger lines, but it was just over a year and two months since I first sat in a kayak. Next year I am going to push myself harder. Boof the rocks I can, catch micro eddies, take the hardest lines, and get demolished in holes and staying in my boat. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2015   #10
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Nice work. What riverwrangler said too.

Tags
class v