First paddling trip to Colorado (Late May-Early June) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-03-2007   #1

Charlottesville, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2000
First paddling trip to Colorado (Late May-Early June)

I am making my first paddling trip to Colorado from May 22 to June 5. I am a class 3-4 boater and have a friend in Boulder. The runs I would like do our the class 3/4 sections of the cache la poudre, the lower canyon stretch of boulder creek, foxton, waterton canyon, and the arkansas (brown's, royal gorge, numbers).

What will the flow be like on these runs at the time of my trip?

Thanks

vayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007   #2

Oh yeah, one more.....

I also want to get on the dumont section of clear creek.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-03-2007   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I cant really speak for the other runs you're talking about, but the poudre during that time will be peaking. Alot of the boaters around here think its gonna be especially big this year. So thats a pretty good time to hit the poudre.
jballen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007   #4

Those should all be running. Post when you get here (or just before you leave) and I know you'll find some people to hit the river with and show you around. I'll be paddling.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007   #5
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
everything on your list will be running at a good flow, some may be high during that window, but everything should be at a good level for sure. also, you may want to add some runs to your list when you get out here an figure out the flows. the alto alto section of south boulder creek is III-IV, will be running, and has nice scenery. the same goes for lower south boulder if you portage the hard rapids.

are you driving out from charlottesville?

Alex
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007   #6

Colorado trip

Yeah, I'll be driving out to Boulder from Charlottesville Virginia. I'll allow 2.5 days to get there. Then 3 Days of mountain biking in Moab and then 10 days of paddling.

Thanks for all the insight
Old 04-04-2007   #7
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
sounds like a good trip. I asked about the drive cause I am in cville right now and will be driving out around the same time to move back to CO. I am trying to convince my friend to come out to CO to run the sh*t out there with me for a bit. off the top of my head I was thinking that it may be possible that he could ride out with me and possibly hitch a ride back to cville if you are driving back too. keep you fingers crossed for some more snow in CO for the next few weeks so it doesn't melt out too soon!
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007   #8

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Be sure to leave the seersucker suit and bowtie in Charlottesville......

GO HOKIES !! water will be raging then. take care
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007   #9

Don't really understand the suit and bowtie crack. I may live in C-ville, but I graduated from Virginia Tech. So I'll also say GO HOKIES!

ACC-
No worries man, I'd be more than happy to transport someone back to C-ville. I'll probably be leaving Boulder on the morning of 6/6, but it could be extended if I want to do some more stuff.

What do people think the Arkansas flow will be like at that time. CFS guess?

THanks
Old 04-06-2007   #10

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Sorry VAyaker....was just assuming you were a UVgAy guy. C-ville is a sweet town though.

And you gotta understand the suit and bowtie crack if you are a VT alum.

The ark will be 2200 - 2700 is my guess. Big solid level. Not a crazy snowpack out here this year.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote