First Descents Fundraiser-hosted by Brad Ludden - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-17-2006   #1

First Descents Fundraiser-hosted by Brad Ludden

Professional kayaker Brad Ludden is hosting 2 Paddle-a-thon fundraisers for First Descents, a kayak camp for young adults with cancer. A paddle-a-thon works like a walk-a-thon, but participants raise money by paddling kayaks, rafts, duckies, inflatable alligators...down Class I-II rapids.
All proceeds directly benefit young adult cancer survivors by providing them with a free, weeklong kayak camp in Vail or Montana.
This years events will take place in Golden at Clear Creek Whitewater Park on Sat., July 22nd from 10:00-4:00, or on the Upper Colorado Rancho to Statebridge on Sat., July 29th from 10:00-4:00, followed by an after party and swag give-away at Statebridge. Free demos will be provided by Alpine Quest in Edwards for those participating in the Vail PAT.
If you are unable to participate, but would like to donate, please go to www.active.com/firstdescents/donate/vailpat or call 970-328-1806 for more information. (A $20 minimum donation is required to participate, a portion of which goes to covering ACA fees. All participants must register and sign a waiver at the put-in.

jamiecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2006   #2

Somewhere on, Earth
More info...

Jamie asked me to post some more info about this event and try to help them spread the word about their event this weekend and next.

First Descents is a free, seven-day kayak camp based in Vail, Colo. for young adults with cancer from around the country. Started by professional kayaker and Nike athlete Brad Ludden, First Descents uses kayaking and other outdoor activities to help campers face challenges and overcome obstacles associated with living with cancer in a fun and supportive environment

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Media Contact: Jamie Corder, (970) 328-1806, [email protected]

First Descents Hosts Annual Paddle-a-Thon Events to Benefit Young Adults with Cancer, July 22 and 29

Vail, Colo.-July 14, 2006- Families and friends can join fellow kayakers, rafters and inner tubers and log river miles to raise money and awareness for young adults battling cancer during the annual First Descents Paddle-A-Thon fundraiser events. The first event will take place in Golden, Colo. on July 22, followed by a second event to be held near Vail on July 29. Non-kayakers and water enthusiasts of all ages and abilities are encouraged to participate.

First Descents is a Vail-based adventure camp for young adults with cancer founded by Nike and Dagger athlete and local professional kayaker Brad Ludden.

"We raised more than $40,000 last year, enabling us to send 60 campers from around the country to our camps this summer. I'm looking forward to getting on the river again this year with all of my fellow boaters, whether in a kayak, sit-on-top or inflatable alligator and racking up as many miles as we can," said Ludden.

The Paddle-a-Thon format is similar to a walk-a-thon, but participants use kayaks, sit-on-top duckies, inner tubes and rafts to make their descent down the river. Participants are asked to solicit pledges for each mile paddled or solicit a flat fee donation. Mileage will be tabulated and all proceeds will go to First Descents to help young adults battling cancer participate in the organization's adventure camps.

Golden Paddle-A-Thon, Saturday, July 22

Registration will be offered from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in a tent by the river at Lyons Park at Golden Whitewater Park. Participants can float or paddle for as long as they wish during this time.

Vail Paddle-A-Thon, Saturday, July 29

Registration will be offered from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at Rancho del Rio. Vail Paddle-A-Thon participants will paddle or float five miles from Rancho del Rio to State Bridge Lodge on the Upper Colorado River as many times as desired. A free shuttle back to the put-in will be provided. Participants and supporters are invited to attend a post-paddle party at 5 p.m. at State Bridge Lodge. Alpine Quest in Edwards will provide free kayak rentals while supplies last to paddlers who show proof of participation in the Vail Paddle-A-Thon. Kayaks should be reserved and picked up in Edwards by calling (970) 926-3867. Duckie and raft rentals are available for a fee and can be reserved by calling the Colorado River Center at (970) 653-0263.

Participants can register on-site on the day of the events. To register online in advance, make a donation or learn more, visit this link for the Golden event or this link for the Vail Paddle-a-Thon. All online donations are transacted on a secure site and are tax deductible.

Donations can also be mailed to First Descents, P.O. Box 2193 Vail, CO 81658. For more information about First Descents, a 501(c)3 organization, visit www.firstdescents.org or call (970) 328-1806.

# # #

First Descents is a free, seven-day kayak camp based in Vail, Colo. for young adults with cancer from around the country. Started by professional kayaker and Nike athlete Brad Ludden, First Descents uses kayaking and other outdoor activities to help campers face challenges and overcome obstacles associated with living with cancer in a fun and supportive environment.

Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #3

Somewhere on, Earth
Info on the Vail Paddle-a-thon

Vail Paddle-a-thon

Date: July 29, 2006
Location: Upper Colorado River, Rancho-to-Statebridge Section, Bond, CO
Time: 10:00am - 4:00pm
Class: I-II
What to Bring: Kayak, PFD, Raft, duckie or innertube, swimsuit, snack and smiles!

Directions:
Exit I-70 heading North
Turn Left onto Highway 6
Turn Right onto Highway 131 North towards Steamboat Springs
Take a right onto Trough Road (at Statebridge Lodge)
Follow road (it will turn into a dirt road) for four miles until you see Rancho del Rio on the left (look for our yellow sign)

More of a land based person? We can still use your "eddy" support! Click on the Contribution box to make a donation!

For more information or questions, please contact the First Descents office at (970) 328-1806, or [email protected]

Note: Everyone will be required to sign a waiver at the river. There is a $20 minimum donation required to participate, a portion of which goes to covering ACA fees. All shuttles will be provided free-of-charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2006   #4

Somewhere on, Earth
Golden, Colorado Paddle-a-thon

Golden, Colorado Paddle-a-thon

Date: July 22, 2006
Lion's Park, 10th Street & Maple, Golden, Colorado (look for our yellow First Descents banner)
Time: 10:00am - 4:00pm
What to Bring: Kayak, PFD, Raft, duckie or innertube, swimsuit, snack and smiles!

Directions:
Click Here for Directions

More of a land based person? We can still use your "eddy" support! Click on the Contribution box to make a donation!

For more information or questions, please contact the First Descents office at (970) 328-1806, or [email protected]

Note: Everyone will be required to sign a waiver at the river. There is a $20 minimum donation required to participate, a portion of which goes to covering ACA fees. All shuttles will be provided free-of-charge.
Old 07-19-2006   #5

Somewhere on, Earth
Since I can't go to this event (out of the country) I will sponsor two paddlers that want to represent Mountain Buzz for this event. I will dontate $50 for the first two paddlers that send me a PM.

Also, as the flows are slowing down, this is a great way to get out and enjoy a nice day with other paddlers and support a great cause. Please email your friends and let's help spread the word about this event.

Just a few seconds of your time to help spread the word can put a smile on a young persons face that is going through really tough times. So PLEASE take a moment and help get the word out!

Thanks,

Andy
Old 07-26-2006   #6

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
I will be up there with some boats and free Gatorades (as well as a shady place to sit) at the put in to the Paddle-a-thon. Please come up and have some fun on the Upper Colorado. As a side note this will be my little boy’s first paddling event. Pretty stoked to get him out there. See you this weekend

hobie
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #7

Hey Hobie,
I'll be there, any chance you'll have Nomad with you? I'm in the market creek boat and have narrowed it down to three boats, one of which is the Nomad, but I haven't been able to paddle one yet.

SYOTR
COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #8

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Sure. What size?

h
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #9

Small. Thanks.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #10

Somewhere on, Earth
I just wanted to pass on this message from Jamie
Quote:
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 12:11 AM
Subject: First Descents Fundraiser Saturday July 29th

Hi Everyone,

The Paddle-a-thon is looking awesome for this weekend however I need each and every one of you to help me with the last final push. We are only $1,500 from reaching our goal of $15,000 for this Saturday and with everyone’s help, $10 here, $20 there, we can do it!

We have 48 hours to nail this goal and collectively we can knock it out of the water, (pun fully intended…)

Even if you can’t come out for the day, your donation will still go directly to providing a young adult with cancer the opportunity to take part in one of our camps which allows them to feel like an individual again and not a patient.

I’ve attached the link that allows you to donate on-line. Let’s do this together! I just got back from our Montana camps and can tell you firsthand just how meaningful your donation will be.

www.active.com/donate/vailpat

We’re so close! Help put us over the edge!

Thanks so much for reading my rant!

Jamie Corder

First Descents
p) 970-328-1806
f) 970-328-0506
[email protected]
www.firstdescents.org